Railroad Forums 

• New track in Sherbrooke, QC

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#190949  by trainiac

I stopped off yesterday at the MMA yard in Sherbrooke, QC, which sits beside a lake, a walkway and an old ex-CP station. A new spur had been laid coming out from the yard and stopping next to the station, passing through the fence separating the walkway from the yard. Track maintenance vehicles were also working on the yard lead. I will post photos online when I get them developed.

#281939  by jhdeasy

I visited this site in Sherbrooke QC on August 9, 2006 during a vacation in Quebec and the northeastern USA. The siding at the station was occupied by a pair of refurbished RDC-1 units lettered for the "Ormond Express" ... this is appears to be a dinner / excursion train operation.

#282040  by CN9634

How are track repairs coming? What new/old rail is being used to replace bad rail?

#286154  by trainiax

A few updates about the track (which I now know more about than when I originally posted): the RDC's were supposed to be used for a Sherbrooke-Magog (among other places) excursion service--the "Orford Express"--run by local Donald Thompson. ("Orford" comes from the nearby Mount Orford). He had previously run the RDC's on the former Quebec Central East of Sherbrooke. Earlier this year, something like $2 million were spent in preparations, including repainting the RDC's and bringing them up to top mechanical condition. There were even brochures detailing the planned route and departure/arrival times.

However, just before service was to start, Transport Canada imposed a 10-mph speed restriction on the service because of track conditions (I believe previous plans were to run them at 25 mph). The MMA freight trains in the area run at 20 mph. As a result, the service was cancelled, and the RDC's have been sitting at the station all summer. They are currently open for visits on Thursdays.

Beside the track spur is a brick platform that was to be used to board the cars. The parking lot next to the station (frequently used by people going along the adjacent "Lac des Nations" path) had been completely dug up and is fenced off, and I'm not quite sure what's in store. The excursion service was widely supported by people in the area and many were (understandably) disappointed at the speed restriction and resulting cancellation. However, service will apparently be starting in the fall--and, living 15 minutes away, I definitely plan on trying it out!