Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#677175  by jb9152

ohioriverrailway wrote:JB,
Did the new weekday schedules go into effect last week? And how do they appear to be working?
They did indeed, and so far, so good. Very good on time performance, and good distribution of loads on the trains where changes were enacted - local train 14 becoming express 14 and local 114, local train 11 becoming express 11 and local 211, and trains 215 and 115 adopting a paired skip-stop pattern.

The South Shore spent three days in advance at Randolph and Van Buren handing out new timetables and summary sheets of the changes, something that I don't believe has ever been done before.

The bi-levels, at last check, are currently assigned to trains 102, 203, 212, 107, 118, 215, 220, 119 (first set), and 114, 211 (second set). Very good reception from the peak customers who are just seeing them for the first time. It's only been three days, but it looks like the changes are well received. Few complaints, many kudos, and better performance.
 #677295  by justalurker66

jb9152 wrote:The bi-levels, at last check, are currently assigned to trains 102, 203, 212, 107, 118, 215, 220, 119 (first set), and 114, 211 (second set). Very good reception from the peak customers who are just seeing them for the first time. It's only been three days, but it looks like the changes are well received. Few complaints, many kudos, and better performance.
Good to hear people like them ... and to see them put to such heavy use. It shouldn't be hard for a railfan or customer to see the new cars in action.

Is NICTD alternating which set does the eight trips and which one does the two from day to day?
 #677309  by jb9152

justalurker66 wrote:Good to hear people like them ... and to see them put to such heavy use. It shouldn't be hard for a railfan or customer to see the new cars in action.

Is NICTD alternating which set does the eight trips and which one does the two from day to day?
Not necessarily, although cars get rotated through different assignments naturally as they're cut apart for inspections, cleaning, repairs, etc.
 #677325  by dinwitty

jb9152 wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:Good to hear people like them ... and to see them put to such heavy use. It shouldn't be hard for a railfan or customer to see the new cars in action.

Not necessarily, although cars get rotated through different assignments naturally as they're cut apart for inspections, cleaning, repairs, etc.
the Bi-levels still being worked off peak or mixing in after rush regulars?
 #677329  by jb9152

dinwitty wrote:
jb9152 wrote:

the Bi-levels still being worked off peak or mixing in after rush regulars?
Look up three posts. :-D
 #677515  by justalurker66

dinwitty wrote:the Bi-levels still being worked off peak or mixing in after rush regulars?
The South Shore runs 43 trains each day (21 west, 22 east) ... 10 of those trains are being covered by 300 series cars.

Two are peak westbounds (the first from Michigan City 4:03a arriving 5:43a, the second from Gary at 7:54a arriving 8:52a). Plus three off peak westbounds (Michigan City 8:06a arriving 9:42a, Michigan City 2:35p arriving at 4:16p, Gary 6:44p arriving at 7:45p).

Two are peak eastbounds (both to Gary ... 4:10p arriving 5:11p, 5:28p arriving 6:25p). Plus three off peak eastbounds (6:10a to Gary arriving 7:07a, 10:10a to Michigan City arriving 11:54a and 8:40p to Michigan City arriving 10:21p).

I suppose you could miss seeing the gallery cars but you would have to work at it. :)
 #677990  by dinwitty

justalurker66 wrote:
dinwitty wrote:the Bi-levels still being worked off peak or mixing in after rush regulars?
The South Shore runs 43 trains each day (21 west, 22 east) ... 10 of those trains are being covered by 300 series cars.

Two are peak westbounds (the first from Michigan City 4:03a arriving 5:43a, the second from Gary at 7:54a arriving 8:52a). Plus three off peak westbounds (Michigan City 8:06a arriving 9:42a, Michigan City 2:35p arriving at 4:16p, Gary 6:44p arriving at 7:45p).

Two are peak eastbounds (both to Gary ... 4:10p arriving 5:11p, 5:28p arriving 6:25p). Plus three off peak eastbounds (6:10a to Gary arriving 7:07a, 10:10a to Michigan City arriving 11:54a and 8:40p to Michigan City arriving 10:21p).

I suppose you could miss seeing the gallery cars but you would have to work at it. :)
I haven't been to chicago in years and I want to hit some train shows and hobby shops and poke around the Museum of Science and Industry, also find that bookstore mentioned with some CERA books there.

I'll find/print a schedule and and ID whats running what. Are the trains the bi-levels run fairly much in stone, or certain equipment demands swap use around?
 #678030  by Tadman

Des Plaines Hobby is the best hobby store I know of in town. The bookstore is at the Brown/Purple/Red Belmont stop, about 5-10 stores east on the south side of Belmont. Those are your railfan shopping headquarters.
 #678055  by byte

Hands-to-Work Railroading (in Alsip, a south suburb) is my favorite hobby shop. Small place but GREAT staff, far better selection than most stores in the area (and ONLY trains), and they also have a shelf where modelers can sell their own superdetailed rolling stock, with a cut going to the store. I've picked up a couple of nice cars from that shelf.

Des Plaines hobbies is a great store as well, higher prices but they have a nice little book aisle as well where CERA stuff can be found.
 #692258  by superbad

I was able to take the inbound and outbound express trains this week.. I must say that while the actual time is about the same as before, the ON TIME performance was on the dot or ahead by a few minutes now.. I noted that the day I took the 3:58 express to michigan city, that we arrived at dune park 4 minutes ahead of schedule.. and the morning I took the train into the city from the shops, the train arrived a full 10 minutes ahead of schedule, and we arrived at randolph 2 minutes ahead of schedule. this is vastly improved over what it was a year ago, when 10 minutes behind schedule was considered 'on time'..
 #705832  by jb9152

Some follow up news from the South Shore Monthly Ridership and Performance Report of July 2009 - three solid months of 90%+ on time performance with the new timetable in place.

Ridership is down, with the peak tracking with unemployment rates in the Chicago Loop, and off peak slightly down as well - it seems that occasional passengers are not coming out to ride in the numbers they did a few years back, most likely as a direct result of the economic downturn.

Specific Peak OTP numbers:

May 2009 - WB: 92.5% EB: 91.8%
June 2009 - WB: 98.9% EB: 95.58%
July 2009 - WB: 97.3% EB: 95.9%

Overall, total OTP for the year is at about 90% for weekdays, 58% for weekends (which is why the weekend schedule change was proposed in the first place - implementation of the new weekend schedule has been postponed until after the intense summer and fall contstruction season planned for 2009).
 #705882  by justalurker66

jb9152 wrote:Overall, total OTP for the year is at about 90% for weekdays, 58% for weekends (which is why the weekend schedule change was proposed in the first place - implementation of the new weekend schedule has been postponed until after the intense summer and fall contstruction season planned for 2009).
The day after the last Notre Dame home football game. :)

Speaking of which, the October 18th - November 6th bustitution between South Bend and Michigan City for LaPorte County bridge projects ...
Boston College comes to Notre Dame on October 24th. Is that first week prep work that won't actually close the rails?

(Oct 18th-Nov 6th dates came from a newspaper article covering the last board meeting.)