Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#641794  by jb9152

superbad wrote:isnt there a flyover at kensington included in the deal if lowell is approved this year?
No, not that I'm aware of.
superbad wrote:Also, I dont understand while some metra trains hit diamonds at 40-50mph, that the south shore has to slow to a crawl to hit diamonds.. Is it the diamond qaulity or the weight of the cars, or both?
The Metra trains aren't technically using the diamonds in the same way as the South Shore trains - they're on a straight move. The diamonds are not in great shape, and the Kensington project, in addition to adding a second track connecting directly into Metra Main Track 4, is also programmed to rehabilitate/replace the diamonds and specialwork associated with the existing ladder.
 #642294  by doepack

A new connecting track to Metra main track 4? That's interesting. Looking at the current ROW on Google Earth, heading south from 111th St., track 4 currently ends at about 113th as you head into the interlocking, where it feeds into track 3, then eventually reduces to two tracks by the time you reach the Kensington depot. Also, CN/IC MT 1 (the westernmost main) closely parallels MED/NICTD MT2 through the depot area then curves slightly to the east before the ladder track hits it. Won't some, or all of this have to be reconfigured somewhat to make the second ladder track fit?

Also, thanks again JB, for the info and updates you provide, it's very kind of you to take time out to do this. Please do continue to keep us all informed on on the latest news on the new equipment and schedules. Thanks again!! :-D
 #642385  by jb9152

doepack wrote:A new connecting track to Metra main track 4? That's interesting. Looking at the current ROW on Google Earth, heading south from 111th St., track 4 currently ends at about 113th as you head into the interlocking, where it feeds into track 3, then eventually reduces to two tracks by the time you reach the Kensington depot. Also, CN/IC MT 1 (the westernmost main) closely parallels MED/NICTD MT2 through the depot area then curves slightly to the east before the ladder track hits it. Won't some, or all of this have to be reconfigured somewhat to make the second ladder track fit?

Also, thanks again JB, for the info and updates you provide, it's very kind of you to take time out to do this. Please do continue to keep us all informed on on the latest news on the new equipment and schedules. Thanks again!! :-D
No problem!

There will be extensive reconfiguration through that area as part of the plan, including the ROWs of both Metra and the CN/IC. In the end, the goal is a completely parallel route to and from the South Shore on the Metra Electric District.
 #642539  by Tadman

I've never understood why IC, back in 1926, decided to narrow the main from 4=>2 tracks 2 blocks north of the interlocker. Seems like a recipe for a bottleneck to me, and done in times when the railroads were flush with money.

Here's a fantastic article from First & Fastest called "Don't Snag the Hangers" detailing Kensington operations in the 1960's.
http://www.shore-line.org/_pdfs/kensing ... 06_F&F.pdf
 #644238  by buddah

Hey tadman thanks for the link I have never seen this article or pictures from that era of the 115st interlocking. Like I was discussing in the last post time for a 4 track Main at kensington if the valpo/lowell line gets the green light and hopefully a second platform for NICTD use to separate there ROW at and south of kensington station, But Ive heard now from JB that a different project is to be underway ( seems half baked now). And you guys are serious, a new timetable just when I memorized the last one, go figure!
 #644321  by jb9152

buddah wrote:Hey tadman thanks for the link I have never seen this article or pictures from that era of the 115st interlocking. Like I was discussing in the last post time for a 4 track Main at kensington if the valpo/lowell line gets the green light and hopefully a second platform for NICTD use to separate there ROW at and south of kensington station, But Ive heard now from JB that a different project is to be underway ( seems half baked now). And you guys are serious, a new timetable just when I memorized the last one, go figure!
Hi buddah -

Not half-baked at all. It's fully funded, designed, and ready to go. Should start this year - double track the NICTD ladder track at Kensington (improving the existing one), with the 'new' track connected to Metra Main Track 4. This will allow parallel moves for South Shore trains at the interlocking, and also allow South Shore trains to "overtake" Metra Electric trains sitting at the platform at Kensington, which is something that currently can't be done.
 #644376  by jb9152

superbad wrote:does this mean that the stop at 115th/kensington will be removed(hopefully) from the schedule once the new trackwork is down?
Any train that uses the new track will have to skip Kensington Station, as the track will bypass it and go directly into Main Track 4.
 #644638  by dinwitty

unless you make new platforms for it. How much traffic gets on/off there for the SS?

I think you need the double/extra tracks for backup in case of failures/accidents.

The recent derailment at Union Station other trains could get around it.
 #644643  by jb9152

dinwitty wrote:unless you make new platforms for it. How much traffic gets on/off there for the SS?

I think you need the double/extra tracks for backup in case of failures/accidents.

Not a lot of traffic at all. There's really nothing there that's a true "trip attractor" in the classic sense. The design does not include new platforms.
 #644676  by doepack

jb9152 wrote:
dinwitty wrote:unless you make new platforms for it. How much traffic gets on/off there for the SS?

Not a lot of traffic at all. There's really nothing there that's a true "trip attractor" in the classic sense. The design does not include new platforms.
As it should be. Building new platforms at Kensington to serve the new connector would not only defeat the purpose of expediting SS service, but also be a colossal waste of money...
 #644714  by superbad

in my opinion all the stops at kensington should be eliminated right now.. The counts of ppl actually getting off the train here are ridiculously low.. I dont see why a train with 600+ ppl on it needs to be stopped for 0, 1, or 2 ppl to get off..if someone needs to transfer to metra they should do so at 57th.
 #644860  by dinwitty

Could be a stop elimination that saves a little time. Passengers wanting to get on would have to board just north. Since its served by metra/IC. For the current junction situation, its a convenient stop because you're stopping anyway for signals/traffic. But if you design around it, you can eliminate it.
 #645217  by Tadman

I typically see between 2 and 8 passengers on the platform at K. I'm not sure what it costs in electricity to start a 8-car train ($50? $100?) but it isn't paid for by those 8 passengers.

Glad you guys liked that article. I pride myself on a pretty extensive collection of historical CSS material, although I bet Mitch M and Mike F both equal or better my collection, as do the old-timers at the Shore Line society.