• New platform tiles at Takoma

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by SchuminWeb

Apparently, Metro is testing new platform tiles at Takoma station. The far outbound end of the platform is now covered with new tiles. They appear to be square units, while giving the appearance of the old pattern, though they definitely look different. I haven't gotten a photo of the new tiles yet, but I'll see what I can do on my way to work this week...
  by Sand Box John

"SchuminWeb"
Apparently, Metro is testing new platform tiles at Takoma station. The far outbound end of the platform is now covered with new tiles. They appear to be square units, while giving the appearance of the old pattern, though they definitely look different. I haven't gotten a photo of the new tiles yet, but I'll see what I can do on my way to work this week...

WMATA established a long term plan some time ago to replace the hexagon quarry tile in surface stations with square "porcelain" tile.

I placed porcelain in quotes because it is my opinion the tiles shown in the document below are not in fact porcelain but are ceramic. Some might consider this nit picking, Porcelain is a more refined higher cost product. In general porcelain is not as durable compared to some ceramic product for a given application.

Decision on size and shapes are detailed below.

Planning and Development Committee
Board Action Item III-B
February 15, 2007
New Platform Tile Standard
(275 KB PDF file)
  by SchuminWeb

So I got photos of the new tiles at Takoma:

http://images.schuminweb.info/images/takoma/tiles-1.jpg

http://images.schuminweb.info/images/takoma/tiles-2.jpg

These look different than any of the styles that are in that document that John showed us, and from the train (where I took these photos), the new tiles look more like paving stones. But there they are. They're square, and they appear to have the hexagonal pattern engraved in the top.
  by Sand Box John

"SchuminWeb"
These look different than any of the styles that are in that document that John showed us, and from the train (where I took these photos), the new tiles look more like paving stones. But there they are. They're square, and they appear to have the hexagonal pattern engraved in the top.

Did you happen to get a shot that show both the new platform section next to the old.

They look to me like cast concrete hardscape pavers.
  by SchuminWeb

Exactly - they look like concrete pavers. And no, I was too far up on the train to get shots of where old and new come together. I'll sit further back tonight if I remember, and get a shot around that area.
  by Sand Box John

"SchuminWeb"
Here's this:

The train was moving at the time, and thus the lower quality. Does that provide what you're looking for, though?

Yes. Thank you.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Interesting info on new replacement tiles at Takoma Station-I remember now myself that the outdoor platforms tiled with the hexagon tiles were showing their age a bit.
Now that the Red Line between Silver Spring and Rhode Island Avenue has been open for 31 years now(!!!) some aging of the original infrastructure is expected but from what I have seen from pics here it looks it has held up well.

I visited Washington to explore and ride Metrorail for the first time in late February 1978-just mere weeks after the Red Line to Silver Spring opened-and it fascinates me how things have changed...compared to my travels to explore Washington and the Metro in the 1978-1985 era. The best example is Silver Spring itself-it has changed so much since those days!
It is hard to believe that the Silver Spring Station was the first Metro station to open in Maryland!

From pics here has Metro installed red platform blinker lights? I have always liked the granite platform edges and blinking white warning lights-way before the ADA's time!
MACTRAXX
  by Sand Box John

"MACTRAXX"Everyone: Interesting info on new replacement tiles at Takoma Station-I remember now myself that the outdoor platforms tiled with the hexagon tiles were showing their age a bit.
Now that the Red Line between Silver Spring and Rhode Island Avenue has been open for 31 years now(!!!) some aging of the original infrastructure is expected but from what I have seen from pics here it looks it has held up well.

All of the tile on the Rhode Island Avenue platform was totally replaced in the early 1990s. Large segment of the platforms between Rhode Island Avenue and Silver Spring have been totally replaced over the last 15 years. About 10 percent of the tiles on the Fort Totten platform were marked for replacement last time I was there about 2 years ago.

Basically speaking, most of what you are seeing today was done after the original construction was done in the late 1970s.

The surface station platforms have not held up as well as the platforms in the stations in subway.
  by Sand Box John

"realtype"
Yeah, I saw another article this morning:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/economy/Metros-hexagon-tiles-out-printed-concrete-blocks-in_06_02-46671727.html

I'm glad the underground stations will still retain the traditional tiles.

We will see what they end up using in the station at Dulles Airport.

The first sentence in the press release leads me to believe that these pavers will end up be used in the subway stations when the rehabilitation of said become necessary.
  by SchuminWeb

Something tells me that we won't see the pavers on the underground stations for a while, considering that Metro will likely deplete its existing stock of tiles before replacing indoor platform surfaces.