• New Old USGS Maps

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by rmutter

Call this a blast from the past.

Some of you may remember that, fifteen years or so ago, I made available several hundred old U. S. Geological Survey maps pieced together from scans stored on the University of New Hampshire's library website. I posted several notes about the maps on railroad.net back then, and there was some interest in them.

Fast forward to 2020. By then, I had discovered the USGS TopoView website. The USGS did a good thing by creating the website. But alas, they waited too long; a lot of their maps have deteriorated to near illegibility. The older they are, the more likely it is that they're torn, stained, or faded.

By last August, I was just about terminally bored, thanks to the COVID-19 crisis. I decided that attempting to clean up and enhance some of the TopoView map images would be a useful way to fill some idle time.

The result, about a thousand maps, may be found at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 1cOym7-g2 . The area of coverage is about the same as it was fiteen years ago: ten northeastern states. (Actually, it's about nine and a half. Maine is incomplete.) Each of those states has its own directory. A few dozen other maps representing other areas are also available. All but a handful are 1:62500 scale, with publication dates ranging from 1885 to about 1940. You can study them on the website, or download them if it's more convenient.