Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire, LIRR, MNRR/CTDOT Dual Mode Procurement - Charger Variants

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1487944  by Backshophoss

Believe the RFP is still up,no contract award yet,still in design phase due to weight issues on the dual mode model. :wink:
 #1488122  by deandremouse

Contract probably won’t be awarded till January from what I’ve been hearing
 #1488205  by blockline4180

So is there a timeline for when the new locomotives might enter service? 2020, 2022, when?

Also, wonder if any other commuter railroad may purchase them when they do get retired?? I know this is probably a better conversation for years down the road!
 #1488224  by DutchRailnut

no and don't expect an order till all 3 partners get to agreement , LIRR/Amtrak/Metro North as under PRII they need to be a standard set for that type.
 #1488233  by grobtech

Metro North's engines are being purchased under the 2015-2019 Capital Program. That means approximately 2022 delivery since an award hasn't been awarded and may be another year out. If LIRR pursues this for the 2020-2024 Capital Program, they could have units built at the end of the MNR run, since the manufacturer would still be tooled up for production. The DE's/DM's still have a ways to go. All speculation of course...
 #1488782  by njtmnrrbuff

The MNR P32AC-DM units still work well even though they are aging. I didn’t hear anything officially about MNR borrowing P40s from Amtrak. Once I see it, then I won’t be overly surprised. MNR has used leased Amtrak P40s for branchline service during the time when the last of the FL9s were being retired and right before the BL20s entered revenue service.
 #1488785  by DutchRailnut

the 8 P40's that MN used were surplus units that CDOT leased and then purchased, currently Amtrak has no surplus Locomotives.
only thing available is stripped P40's and 3 wreck damaged P42's being sold for scrap.
 #1488798  by ConstanceR46

I don't really see why MN would borrow P40s as they're pure diesel and AFAIK need hatches to run into GCT, and i wouldn't say they're too hard of Branch power especially when they have a perfectly good F10 (If push came to shove) lying around.
 #1488803  by DutchRailnut

perfectly good ?? ehh no after 12 years no maintenance and several borrowed parts , that ship sailed long ago.
 #1488822  by DutchRailnut

just got proven wrong , but for the price MN could have bought the 6 FL-9m's and fixed them .
Page 134 of http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/ ... XwijF217W8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and all of that because to many BL20gh's got send out for re- motoring ?? go figure.
 #1488844  by ATK

DutchRailnut wrote:just got proven wrong , but for the price MN could have bought the 6 FL-9m's and fixed them.
Are you suggesting that MNR could have rehabbed 6 FL9's AND installed ACSES on those same locomotives for under $700,000?!?!
 #1488850  by DutchRailnut

6 loco's at $70 000 average is 420 000 leaving 350 000 to play with, but then they would own them, and not have nothing to show for that money after lease expires on P42's

and no the 6 CDOT units were not in same condition as 413 and 2012 as CDOT units had a ground up rebuild in 1996 .
and New HEP units in 2001.