Railroad Forums 

• New Mexico Roads

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#524848  by AmtrakRider

Am I correct in thinking that railroad tracks parallel I-40 most of the way across New Mexico? If so, are there any popular spots where railfanners can get good train views?

On a related topic, aside from 1-25 / 1-40 corridors, the southern route used by the Sunset, and what's left of the narrow-gage rails etc. running into CO, where might I find some good options for train watching in the state?

#534849  by SlowFreight

I40 parallels the track once you get about 20 miles west of Albuquerque. East of there, it follows a more southerly route through Ft. Sumner and Clovis. You can find some good parallel roads, but not interstate. If you duck south from Abq to Belen, you'll find one of the busiest through terminals on all of BNSF (120 trains/day).

Can't speak for much in the southern half of the state, but RailRunner gives you a decent number of trains to shoot as they pass the remaining semaphore signals going north to Bernalillo.

#536586  by AmtrakRider

Thanks for the info. I'll likely take the RRunner ops, as I plan to ride it to both ends while I'm in town. Guess I'll have to pass on the other stuff, since I will be lucky if I can make it out to Gallup, much less anywhere else.