Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#130347  by MikeF

Here are some pictures I took on Friday.

Here is car 1202 with 1201 just barely visible behind it. View a larger version here.

Car 1202's vestibule.

The F end interior of car 1202, which looks just like an 8500.

The B end interior of car 1202, with the train doors open to car 1201. Note that the upper gallery has been shortened to make room for the pantograph.

The obligatory "controls shot" of the engineer's side of 1202's cab. Looks like an airplane cockpit. View a larger version here.

Here's that toilet everyone's so excited about.

Exterior view of 1201's vestibule.

Old meets new as a revenue train unloads passengers next to the new cars.

#130389  by metraRI

I think they look sharp compared to the IC MU cars. Hopefully MED riders will like them as well. In the picture showing the vestibule of 1201, you can see this "ear" sticker between the ADA and RTA symbols. The first 8500's also came with that symbol, but were removed. I wonder if they will stay on these.

#130535  by doepack

Anybody know when these cars are going to start earning their keep in revenue service? Or is testing still ongoing? BTW Mike, you're right...
the inside of the cabs do look like an airplane cockpit. Nice pics...

#130547  by MikeF

doepack wrote:Anybody know when these cars are going to start earning their keep in revenue service? Or is testing still ongoing?
I think testing is still ongoing, and my guess would be they won't start running much in revenue service until more of them arrive. The Electric District doesn't have much use for a two-car train.

#130560  by F40CFan

Nice pictures, MikeF. Thanks for sharing.

#130575  by Joe

Nice shots.

Woo! A toilet! Last time I had to use the restroom on a Metra train was...never!

#130670  by MetraRy

looks kinda strange but i can go to like them. Hey joe, ya never know when that toliet is gonna come in handy. it might one day be one of the nicest sights you will ever see

#130690  by Scotty Burkhardt

Are the new MU's compatable with the old highliners? To me it only seems logical that the current fleet is able to run with the new cars. Does anyone know for sure if we'll see the highliners intermingled with these new MU's

#130694  by metraRI

As far as I know the new cars are not compatible with the old MU's, so they will not be running on the same train.

#130764  by MetraRy

yep, the cars are uncompatible. i would think that all the new cars will go in service on the expresses to the burbs and all the old cars would operate the braches. Does anybody know?

#130775  by F40CFan

In the picture above you can easily see ditch lights on the new hi-liners. I can't make out if there are ditch-lights on the current cars. If there aren't, how did they get away without them for so long?

#130804  by metraRI

MetraRy wrote:i would think that all the new cars will go in service on the expresses to the burbs and all the old cars would operate the braches. Does anybody know?
Its hard to say where they will go into service first. I don't get over to MED that much, so I don't know how many cars the shortest mainline train has, but if its longer than 6 cars they might run on branch lines first.
F40CFan wrote: I can't make out if there are ditch-lights on the current cars. If there aren't, how did they get away without them for so long?
The ditch lights on the old cars are on the bottom, under the body of the car.

Here is a picture of them:
http://www.metxpix.com/med_nictd/MED_219_Nick.jpg

#130809  by octr202

Just a couple questions for people who have seen them in person...

Are the orange-ish things above the ditch lights digital number boards/displays, like for train numbers?

The cab appears amazingly cramped -- is it the standard size/setup for gallery cars? As an east coaster, I'm used to vestibule cabs on our push-pull cabs and MUs, which while not spacious, look roomier than that. Also, have gallery cabs used desktop control stands like that before? Without a center window (due to headlights), it sure looks like there's little visibility to the left for the engineer.

Finally, is the cab full width? Does it have a right hand side behind the other front window?

#130871  by MikeF

octr202 wrote:Are the orange-ish things above the ditch lights digital number boards/displays, like for train numbers?
They sure are. The older cars have "analog" train number displays near the roofline.
The cab appears amazingly cramped -- is it the standard size/setup for gallery cars?
Yep.
As an east coaster, I'm used to vestibule cabs on our push-pull cabs and MUs, which while not spacious, look roomier than that.
The older Highliners have vestibule cabs. I wonder whether the engineers will like their cramped quarters on the new cars.
Also, have gallery cabs used desktop control stands like that before?
Yes, the 8400-series and 8500-series push-pull cab cars on the diesel lines have had desktop controls. The difference is that the push-pull cars have standard "diesel" desktops, with a throttle, automatic brake and independent brake, while the new M.U. cars have just one handle that combines acceleration and braking. (This is different from the desktops on the South Shore's 100-series cars, which have a controller handle and a brake handle.) The Highliners and the earlier South Shore cars have standard controllers and 26-type brake valves.
Without a center window (due to headlights), it sure looks like there's little visibility to the left for the engineer.
There's not, but the engineers on the diesel lines seem to deal with it.
Finally, is the cab full width? Does it have a right hand side behind the other front window?
Yes. There's a seat on the other side.

#130884  by metraRI

I noticed that there is no American Flag on the side of the new MU cars, which I guess breaks the tradition of putting it on the side of power equipment.