Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#269748  by octr202

Okay, while perusing some new photos on world.nycsubway.org, I started seeing BART cars with what looked like rectangular orange LED lights or displays on the top center front of each car.

http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?50874

I hadn't remembered seeing them before, and sure enough, they're not there in older photos. They don't look quite like destinations signs or headlights, so, does anyone know what they're for?

Thanks.

#271212  by modorney

Those LED indicators make the trains look different than an automobile. Much of BART is built in freeway medians, and a track worker may not recognize an oncoming train, with all the car headlights around.

#271636  by MACTRAXX

Interesting! those old BART A cars look interesting with this addition. They need a reflectorized RED safety stripe across the front end between the headlights in my opinion. It woukd make them very visible instead of the blue and white. MACTRAXX

#271767  by octr202

modorney wrote:Those LED indicators make the trains look different than an automobile. Much of BART is built in freeway medians, and a track worker may not recognize an oncoming train, with all the car headlights around.
Thanks! Coming from a town where the subway runs with red lights on both ends of the train all the time, I hadn't thought of that.