• New Interiors Being Tested on the Green Line

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Sand Box John

"HokieNav"
Great info, John.

Timely too, as the trainsit blog Greater Greater Washington has just started a series of articles discussing the evolution of Metro architecture:
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post.cgi?id=3290

That is the most error filled narration I have ever read about WMATA published on the Internet. I wonder how many errors will be in the description of the surface stations.
  by HokieNav

I'm sure they'd be open to your corrections - the guys at GGW usually are on top of their games.
  by Matt_S

I guess what I meant regarding station design was for them to deviate from vaulted, unpainted concrete would be a bad move. I did notice a while back that archives navy memorial seems to have been painted white which in my opinion doesn't look great. Hopefully not a sign of things to come on the rest of the system. The tone seemed kind of sickly to me, though I can't place why.
  by Sand Box John

"Matt_S"
I guess what I meant regarding station design was for them to deviate from vaulted, unpainted concrete would be a bad move. I did notice a while back that archives navy memorial seems to have been painted white which in my opinion doesn't look great. Hopefully not a sign of things to come on the rest of the system. The tone seemed kind of sickly to me, though I can't place why.

Archives was not the first station to receive that slurry white wash treatment. More then a half dozen of the older stations have been similarly treated. The deal behind the white wash is to increase the reflective property of the arched vault. No amount of power washing will clean all of the accumulated dirt and grime off the sand blasted concrete.
  by tommyboy6181

There are several other stations that have had this done. I know 1 of the more recent was Farragut North, and I think Foggy Bottom might have had this done. Not entirely sure on that.

I do know that Wheaton could definitely use it. It reminds me of Foggy Bottom and how dark the station can get.
  by Sand Box John

"tommyboy6181"
There are several other stations that have had this done. I know 1 of the more recent was Farragut North, and I think Foggy Bottom might have had this done. Not entirely sure on that.

If Foggy Bottom was done, I must have been done sense the first of this year

I do know that Wheaton could definitely use it. It reminds me of Foggy Bottom and how dark the station can get.

The only thing that need to be done to Wheaton is power wash it and replace the florescent tubes in the light fixtures.

All of the station with precast concrete arch vaults have lighter colored aggregate in the concrete and the surface of the concrete is far less porous then the concrete in the cast in place stations.