Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1094095  by Tadman

I rode in on Amtrak #4 today, and the eastbound yard at Eola had a string of tarped stainless somethings on flatcars. Toward the end of the string, enough of a tarp was pulled back to reveal new Sumitomo Highliner EMUs sans trucks.
 #1094119  by Pacific 2-3-1

Tadman wrote:I rode in on Amtrak #4 today, and the eastbound yard at Eola had a string of tarped stainless somethings on flatcars. Toward the end of the string, enough of a tarp was pulled back to reveal new Sumitomo Highliner EMUs sans trucks.
No trucks?

It's pretty close to Hallowe'en. Either some kids took them or the Bogie Man did.
 #1094150  by justalurker66

Tadman wrote:I rode in on Amtrak #4 today, and the eastbound yard at Eola had a string of tarped stainless somethings on flatcars. Toward the end of the string, enough of a tarp was pulled back to reveal new Sumitomo Highliner EMUs sans trucks.
Perhaps shells?
 #1094407  by Tadman

That would make sense if the cars were on their way from the west coast to Rochelle. But where are the shells coming from out east.

I'm still puzzled as I don't think it's a delivery, as all prior cars were shipped with adapter couplers on their own wheels, and I'm not aware Metra has the desire to assemble cars in house.
 #1094657  by justalurker66

Tadman wrote:That would make sense if the cars were on their way from the west coast to Rochelle. But where are the shells coming from out east.
One would need to know the routing from the west coast. I realize there are lines into Rochelle from the west but it isn't entirely out of the question that the shells would arrive at Eola and then head back west up to Rochelle.

When the last cars were delivered (to NICTD) they were delivered on their own wheels. I'd expect nothing less for the new cars going to Metra.
 #1094836  by byte

The body shells may have to take a longer, less direct route to the N-S plant due to their height. Looks like they're about as tall as a double-stacked intermodal car, but probably a bit wider at the top. That could be the difference between them getting to the plant unscathed, or being "scalped" in a tunnel.
 #1096944  by buddah

justalurker66 wrote: I realize there are lines into Rochelle from the west but it isn't entirely out of the question that the shells would arrive at Eola and then head back west up to Rochelle.
When the last cars were delivered (to NICTD) they were delivered on their own wheels. I'd expect nothing less for the new cars going to Metra.
Well justalurker Start Expecting less.... question Answered As it seems they are not being delivered to Rochelle under there own wheels.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prairierailfan/8108619584/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prairierai ... otostream/
 #1096979  by justalurker66

buddah wrote:
justalurker66 wrote: I realize there are lines into Rochelle from the west but it isn't entirely out of the question that the shells would arrive at Eola and then head back west up to Rochelle.
Well justalurker Start Expecting less.... question Answered As it seems they are not being delivered to Rochelle under there own wheels.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prairierailfan/8108619584/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prairierai ... otostream/
Perhaps you need to re-read what I wrote. We were talking about SHELLS being delivered to Rochelle for assembly, with final product being delivered to Metra on their own wheels. Car delivery to NICTD and Metra will be with trucks attached. SHELLS being delivered to Rochelle fits perfectly with what I wrote ... regardless of the snide commentary.
 #1097058  by Tadman

Buddah, great shots. That's exactly what I saw, same day, too. I saw them around 230p in Eola on the south side of the main.