Railroad Forums 

• New Haven and Hudson Line Service to Penn Station

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#81732  by path18951

Ok, I looked for a thred about this topic, but did not see one.

Other than the issue of Penn Station being already crowded and the voltage change on the Hell Gate Line, would it be ideal for Metro North to run a few select trains into Penn Station? You could also use the Empire Connection for the Hudson Line.

As for the overcrowding of Penn Station, they really don't need to be in the station for long. Use the P32's that Amtrak uses with the 3rd rail shoes for overrunning. The trains come in to New York in the morning from New Haven over the Hell Gate Line, discharge the passengers, and then head up the empire connection to yard in Croton Harmon until the evening peak period where the same thign happens in reverse. You could also run Hudson Line trains into Penn in the morning, send them to Stamford to Yard for the day, then run them back to the Hudson line in the evening.

The only obstical would be the overrunning third rail vin Penn Station versus MNRR's general underrunning third rail. A few new P32's dedicated for this service should fix that.

Anyway, would running to Penn benefit MNRR's passengers in any way? I would think having a second station in Manhatten could only help.

#93448  by Otto Vondrak

Metro-North will not be operating to Penn Station. No room there, no equipment to get there, no money to implement the plan... not matter how much the railfans want it to happen.

-otto-

#93495  by Ron Newman

This should be moved to the Metro-North forum. General Discussion is really for all the systems that don't have their own forums.

#94262  by Irish Chieftain

JayMan noted an extant thread on the Metro-North forum (see link above). I'll lock up this thread as a consequence, but not before expressing my opinion to wit that what with NJT needing more slots into NYP and Metro-North having GCT all to themselves, the notion or need to have Metro-North access NYP at all is a non-sequitur.