Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Redsoxsuck, try to look up GEVO in Google or look in GE tread on engines. no need to start a GEVO tread here.

by NJRail4129

Are the "P42AC's" a upcoming future product or is GE ready to build them? I saw an article on the "Next Generation" passenger locomotive with the new nose design for the crashworthiness standards. Is this the P42AC?
Check out the new units: http://tinyurl.com/dkw7t

by DutchRailnut

A new Genesis is designed on the books but it depends on customer if they will be AC - DC- Dual mode etc.
No order has been given yet and I have seen no items in Budget.

by Penn Central

RedSoxSuck wrote:This is probably a dumb question, but what is GEVO?
Not a dumb question, so I'll answer in the wise words of General Electric:

"The Evolution Series' new GEVO 12-cylinder engine produces the same horsepower as a 16-cylinder engine, but produces lower emissions and is engineered to be more efficient."

by benltrain

how about an electric? old EMUs? maybe an old electric (E60 if they are still available). it seems silly to stick to diesel when the whole route is electrified.
Am i wrong?

by benltrain

so sorry i meant SLE...i am not that stupid

by Tadman

I would guess the leased P40's state has more to do with what Amtrak does/doesn't do to them - I watch P42's accelerate out of CUS all the time, and they don't look half as maintained/in good order as the Metra F40's that are at least twice the age. It's a fun show, but not for Amtrak.

by benltrain

again, WHY NO SLE ELECTRICS?

by DutchRailnut

Because new electrics cost way to much for 3 car trains (4.7 million a piece) and Amtrak would charge way to much for power. plus then the SLE trains could no longer be used on waterbury branch during mid day.