Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1562813  by upton

How many Siemens Charger Locomotives will the LIRR get on the first order?
 #1562831  by Pensyfan19

About 66 I heard.
 #1562834  by Backshophoss

Unlike MN,LIRR units don't have a weight issue to deal with,are you sure of that number,66 units could be the entire MTA order for MN/ConnDOT/LIRR combined,
 #1562839  by Pensyfan19

Backshophoss wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:49 pm Unlike MN,LIRR units don't have a weight issue to deal with,are you sure of that number,66 units could be the entire MTA order for MN/ConnDOT/LIRR combined,
I´m sure.

From the New NY Dual Mode Discussion...

As well as this article stating the following...
However, this first award is just the first step in what could be a long line of new dual modes. If approved by the MTA Board, the contract would include 19 base order locomotives with options for up to 152 additional locomotives, including:
up to 8 additional locomotives for Metro-North (being exercised now)
up to 32 additional locomotives for Metro-North
up to 66 locomotives for the LIRR
up to 20 locomotives for the Connecticut Department of Transportation
up to 26 locomotives for the NYS Department of Transportation
 #1562857  by Backshophoss

NYSDOT = Amtrak Empire Services should be 30 units,,still 66 units for LIRR is too high,up to 50 units would be believable,45-50 for MN.
 #1562864  by newkirk

Backshophoss wrote:...........still 66 units for LIRR is too high............
Since the LIRR is short diesel coaches, could 66 units be for additional diesel coaches (C-5's) ?
 #1562868  by Pensyfan19

newkirk wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:39 pm
Backshophoss wrote:...........still 66 units for LIRR is too high............
Since the LIRR is short diesel coaches, could 66 units be for additional diesel coaches (C-5's) ?
I would assume so. I heard something a while ago about the purchase of 50(?) single level coaches for diesel routes. Also keep in mind that these 66 locomotives will likely be all dual mode, and no diesel only alternative (or DE alternative to the DM).
 #1562877  by R36 Combine Coach

Not sure if any manufacturer still offers single level coaches, other than Siemens' new Amfleet replacements
(corridor cars). The 1970 Comet design has been out of production since 2001.
 #1562883  by Backshophoss

Both MN(with ConnDOT) and LIRR are thinking in terms of a MLV II Design tweaked by the MTA ,that was a BBD design,not sure if Alstrom wants to build it.
 #1562898  by newkirk

Backshophoss wrote: Both MN(with ConnDOT) and LIRR are thinking in terms of a MLV II Design tweaked by the MTA ,that was a BBD design,not sure if Alstrom wants to build it.
So I guess the MLV II design would be the C-5's ?

And what about the C-3's , is the LIRR keeping or replacing them ?
 #1562945  by Pensyfan19

Did anyone consider the C-4..?
 #1562950  by Backshophoss

Like the M series, Where the odd numbers denoted the 3rd rail EMU's and the even numbers denoted the Dual mode EMU's
LIRR settled on odd numbers from the coach generations C-1 was the prototype cars, C-3 the current generation in service C-5 will be the Alstrom/BBD MLV ii variant for MN/ConnDOT/LIRR.
 #1562954  by MattW

Will these all be dual mode, or will this be another split fleet?
 #1562970  by electricron

I fully expect a split fleet because I see no reason why they should buy trains to run on a voltage they do not have to use.