Railroad Forums 

• New CSX CEO - From The Auto Industry

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1606819  by Gilbert B Norman

Will this appointment be a "fit"? To what extent will he prove to be a Saint Elwood disciple?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/csx-names- ... lewebshare

Fair Use:
CSX Corp. on Thursday named Joe Hinrichs as its new chief executive officer, putting the former auto executive in charge of the freight-railroad operator as the industry faced labor turmoil.

Mr. Hinrichs served as president of Ford Motor Co.’s automotive business and held executive roles in manufacturing, materials, planning and logistics before retiring in 2020 in a leadership shake-up. After he left Ford, Mr. Hinrichs joined the board of several companies and became an adviser to electric- and autonomous-vehicle companies including Rivian Automotive Inc. and Luminar Technologies Inc.

Mr. Hinrichs, who is known in the auto sector for his manufacturing expertise, will relocate to Jacksonville, Fla., from Michigan and join CSX as president and CEO on Sept. 26, the company said. Jim Foote, the current CEO, will remain through March 31 as an adviser to facilitate the transition.

“I grew up in the manufacturing system, so I know what it’s like to be out there, and working hard in those environments,” Mr. Hinrichs said in an interview.
 #1606843  by QB 52.32

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:59 pm Will this appointment be a "fit"? To what extent will he prove to be a Saint Elwood disciple?
With CSX the most positively strategically re-positioned within the adoption of PSR by US Class 1's, I expect his buy-in of PSR principals and match with moving further forward the pivot to growth and call to attempt a re-set in the relationship with labor. Given his background, sure looks to be a very good choice to move CSX along the path established by Hunter Harrison and successfully traversed and impacted by the significant disruption created by Covid during Jim Foote's 5-year leadership.
 #1607589  by CN9634

My two cents is they picked the new CEO based on the Labor relations background. This is an obvious sore spot right now, but also generally the largest single risk to the business. If he can mend some relationships and build a bit of trust back then that will pay huge dividends moving forward (and maybe set an example for other Class Is)
 #1607590  by Gilbert B Norman

A very interesting thought Mr. CN.

Now if, as I think it should be, working conditions, which I think at this time override pay as Issue #1, are first and foremost with Mr. Hinrichs, then there could be some "blasphemy" directed at "The Gospel".

With the reopening of yards, a sacrilege to Saint Elwood, by both NS and UP, there could be a "rethink" moving forth within the industry. Not by any means an excommunication, but a bit of pragmatism.

Perhaps Colonel Perkowski's words are being heard down in Jacksonville:
John_Perkowski wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:29 pm Memo for ALL the freight carriers: You exist to serve your customers. Without customers and timely delivery of products, the railroads have no reason to exist.