Railroad Forums 

• New Coloring Book!!!

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1595451  by Gilbert B Norman

Zees ees ow ve do it in Ze Old Country, Komerades:

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... Y22-27.pdf

When I learn of these "Coloring Books", which every agency in town puts together to spread around The Hill and 1600, I am reminded of a line of script from the movie "Silk Stockings" in which Fred Astaire says to Cyd Charisse "I've been reading about your Five Year Plans for the last fifteen years".

It seems like I've been glancing at the Amtrak varietal for longer than that!
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #1595453  by Pensyfan19

A few things in this "coloring book" to be pointed out in regard to equipment:
- Acela I trainsets will be retired since their use on other branches is considered impractical
- a TBD amount of ACS 64s will be stored or sold/leased to commuter rail agencies
- dual-mode intercity trainsets (ICTs, most likely ALC42s with Venture coaches) will replace all northeastern regional routes (Pennsylvania, Maple Leaf, Palmetto, etc.) starting in 2027
- Heartland Flyer is to receive either ICTs or "New LD Fleet Strategy" (either new bilevel railcars to have shorter consists, or refurbished Superliners)
- "Fleet available for new start-up routes" (any Connects Us routes) will start with P42s and Horizons and will not be replaced by ICTs until 2032
- "New long distance fleet" for LDs will begin in 2032
- supposedly no stated change in equipment for the Piedmont (long live the F59s and Pullman Coaches!) However, it's speculated that ICTs may replace existing equipment on this route as well.
 #1595457  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Pennsy, from your review of the material, it appears that its scope only includes the Locally sponsored services that "interchange" with the Corridor.

Elsewhere at this site is that NCDOT has new equipment on order. While that does not mean that these '65 vintage ex KCS, LIRR, NCDOT cars will be retired, they certainly will be "relegated" to a standby role or placed in service on any possible routes the agency gets Local funding to inaugurate.

But the thought of 65yo cars ('65-'30) in revenue service is "astounding".
 #1595463  by Bob Roberts

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:41 pm Elsewhere at this site is that NCDOT has new equipment on order.
But the thought of 65yo cars ('65-'30) in revenue service is "astounding".
I am not sure anything is 'on order' for NCDOT yet. They did receive a large grant to pay for the equipment but there has been nothing but silence from the rail division since then.

As to the age of the current equipment, it remains in top-flight condition. I ride it nearly monthly and it remains my favorite Amtrak gear. If my timing permits I'll avoid the Amfleet gear on the Carolinian in favor of the refurbed NCDOT gear every time.
 #1595466  by lordsigma12345

There was an interesting blurb in there about ON board entertainment like they do on the airlines. (Movies and tv shows off the on board instead of having to download over the internet link.)
 #1595467  by STrRedWolf

Going through it, just scanning through as I have time...

Huh, didn't know Amtrak ran Metrolink in California and Shore Line East in Connecticut.

Yep, called it for the ICTs:
  • Cab controls on both ends for push-pull service
  • Dual-power for removing swaps in DC, Philly, and New Haven.
  • Wye-ing the train will be reserved for breakdown issues.
Long term plan on equipment: ICT on daytrip and regional lines, Siemens building a lot of the fleet. No word on Superliner replacements.

I can see onboard entertainment, maybe with a TV in the family rooms for newer LD equipment.
 #1595471  by lordsigma12345

I wouldn’t say that there’s no word on it. There’s a relatively large section on the LD fleet plans. Superliners and Viewliner 1s will be replaced by a single large RFP. Just no specifics yet - they have to come up with what they actually want first (bilevel vs single etc.) RFP probably in the FY24 - 25 timeline.
 #1595472  by rcthompson04

Good to see message about Paoli to Overbrook resignalling and Thorndale to Frazer third line refresh, which are prerequisites to expanding Keystone frequencies.