Railroad Forums 

• New Book - Hotel-Train

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1613041  by FlavioBassi

Hello,
I am a new member, railroad enthusiast from Italy.
I'd like to add here this title:

Hotel-Train
isbn 9788831474122

It deals with the design of a new type of night train, which mixes rail and hotel features.
The new train proposed in this book looks much more comfortable and pleasant than the current one, so much so that it can be used for longer trips, even during the day (for example, there is space for personal work on board).
The coaches contain a long list of new elements and spaces, never before seen on trains. It might seem impossible to put all these things on a train while maintaining acceptable fares; however, there is also a basic business plan in the book, and it all seems to work. This is referring to Europe, but in America it should be quite similar - or even better, because if I am not mistaken your size limits are larger and therefore there should be more interior space available.
Some bookstores in the world are: Barnes&Noble, Blackwell's, Books A Million, Booktopia, Bücher Dörner, Fishpond, Knygos, Mighty Ape, PB Shop, Saxo and others.

I must say that I am the author of this book :-D
I hope I have not violated the forum rules (if so I am sorry, please notify me).

If anyone is interested in learning more or getting a preview, please let me know.

Thank you!
Flavio
 #1613432  by STrRedWolf

I'll have to check it out. I've always had the idea of a Pullman-style train hotel to go at disused yards, set up shop, and reuse the space for various functions. Toledo's Amtrak stop feels like a place to put one (granted, putting tracks back down and doing some infrastructure work).
 #1627576  by FlavioBassi

Hi STrRedWolf ,
sorry for my late reply.
Thank you for the interest in the book! What do you think, is it doable? Or do you find anything which seems impossible?
And what about your idea, could you explain better... it seems your Pullmann-style train hotel would stay still in a disused space, so that it would offer various experiences, but in any case without traveling... or am I wrong?
Last edited by FlavioBassi on Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1627699  by STrRedWolf

FlavioBassi wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:21 pm Hi STrRedWolf ,
sorry for my late reply.
Thank you for the interest in the book! What do you think, is it doable? Or do you find anything which seems impossible?
And what about your idea, could you explain better... it seems your Pullmann-style train hotel would stay still in a disused space, so that it would offer various experiences, but in any case without traveling... or am I wrong?
It was... not quite what I was looking for. A good description of concepts but little in terms of floor plans. I doubt I'll have any overlap with your book.

That said, the idea I describe is a train-based hotel, something that could be "popped up" to provide room in rail-accessible areas. For instance, Toledo would fit nicely to have a few rows of sleeper cars accessible by existing stairs (and elevators, although some work will be needed for any meeting space and diner). This would give some new life to some old cars otherwise destined for the scrapper.
 #1627763  by FlavioBassi

Oh, I'm sorry for the disappointment. The floor plans are in the chapter 6, Layout design, for all the types of carriages I'm proposing; they are drawed in a quite precise scale, based on the sizes of a double-deck carriage we have in operation here. In those plans, all the innovative spaces of the train (workspaces, cinema, gym, etc.) find their place, together with the bedrooms/private bathrooms/private showers. Also the stairs and the corridors without steps, with sloping floor, are drawed with the quite real heights in mind. I said quite, because I don't have the exact technical requirements yet. This is all I can do for now; next step will be the search of the exact requirements, to proceed with a more precise project.
---
About your idea, it would be nice to realize! There are some examples of old carriages used in hotels, but they seem stable in a location instead of pop-up: Old Station, Train Lodge, Train Hostel (I don't know if you already knew them).
Last edited by FlavioBassi on Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.