Railroad Forums 

• New Adirondack Scenic Thread (ADIX)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1439516  by BR&P

jhdeasy wrote:DAGNEY TAGGART is the former New York Central SINGING BROOK, so it is quite appropriate this car should carry the markers on the special train's move from Utica up to Thendara.
Would love to pose the car for pics on rails painted blue-green to simulate Reardon Metal. Or has that been done already?
 #1441246  by ut-1

Here are some recent pictures:

Photo 1--Crossing Little Woodhull Creek, Forestport, July 29th.

Photo 2--Passing through Big Moose rock cut, July 29th.

Photo 3--Crossing over NYS Route 12/28, Mapledale (Trenton) on return to Utica, July 29th.
Attachments:
IMG_2810 (8)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg
IMG_2810 (8)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg (255.45 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
IMG_2819 (2)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg
IMG_2819 (2)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg (234.93 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
IMG_2861 (2)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg
IMG_2861 (2)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg (161.41 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
 #1441247  by ut-1

And a few more:

Photo 1--Approaching Mapledale Rd, Trenton, August 3rd.

Photo 2--Crossing the Mohawk River, August 17th.
Attachments:
IMG_2943 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg
IMG_2943 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg (236.93 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
IMG_3315 (5)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg
IMG_3315 (5)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg (256.8 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
 #1441580  by jhdeasy

BR&P wrote:
jhdeasy wrote:DAGNEY TAGGART is the former New York Central SINGING BROOK, so it is quite appropriate this car should carry the markers on the special train's move from Utica up to Thendara.
Would love to pose the car for pics on rails painted blue-green to simulate Reardon Metal. Or has that been done already?
Scratch DAGNEY TAGGART (x- SINGING BROOK) from the AAPRCO 2017 convention special train, as Amtrak is unwilling to allow BNSF to switch the car on and off the Empire Builder at Fargo ND, despite management support from BNSF Railway headquarters.

I read that Adirondack Scenic acquired two passenger coaches at the Norfolk Southern auction in Roanoke last week. These are Amtrak certified cars (or very close to meeting all the Amtrak specs). Local Roanoke media reports the average winning bid for the 5 coaches sold was about $200,000 per car.
 #1441678  by tree68

Availability, location, and need for power.

The usual power is the RS18u's for both the Utica trains and the Thendara locals. In the fall, it's hard to say.
 #1441707  by The Man

Nice to see they have the money to buy more equipment after they fail to pay the lease payments on others. So if you plan to lease to Adirondack, get paid upfront for everything or you will be forced to go to court. We tried to work something out and the short reply was that they will not pay for the past seven years. These guys are telling everyone we are putting it to them and we are not! We offered many options to discuss and they refuse to sit down and talk like adults, instead they tell the volunteers that it's the mean locomotive owners and that we refused to work with poor Adirondack. We have tried to help resolve matters and be reasonable but the railroad doesn't want to do that at all. Now the Lawyers will be dealing with it. The purpose of this post is to warn individuals interested in doing business with Adirondack that they need to be careful and watch them. Don't believe me? Ask Tom Carver or some of the many others that got that shaft.
 #1441730  by CP4743

It's funny on this thread that whenever anyone says anything negative about the Adirondack Scenic they get criticized. It is pretty clear this is not a very well run organization. Several years ago they were assigned funding for a Utica engine house that never got built. Why has this not been built? Most of the passenger cars look very rough from the outside. Perhaps they should be painting them with the extra money they have.

Historically speaking it would be incredible to have 2 former NYC RS-3's working together on this former NYC branch. That event was actually advertised for the recent event in Thendera but never happened. This dispute over this RS-3 has been going on way too long. What a shame nothing can be worked out in a civil manner.
 #1441806  by ut-1

No. 1835 is shown here crossing Little Woodhull Creek in Forestport 10:58 this morning.
Attachments:
IMG_3448 (3)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg
IMG_3448 (3)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg (210.5 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
 #1441809  by JoeBas

The Man wrote:Now the Lawyers will be dealing with it. The purpose of this post is to warn individuals interested in doing business with Adirondack that they need to be careful and watch them. Don't believe me? Ask Tom Carver or some of the many others that got that shaft.
I'm sure the lawyers will LOVE this... by which I mean not YOUR lawyers, of course... ;)
 #1441811  by The Man

We really wanted the two running together and I feel the person we delt with did as well. All we asked was to sit down and iron it out and come to a compromise but the reply from the railroad did not have room for negotiation and we really hated to see that since we have always wanted to see back to back NYC RS-3's on the Adirondack. The story on both sides has a lot more to it than everyone knows and I'm sure nobody is clean in the deal but we didn't ask for much. Only what was owed to us. The Adirondack has already cost us two of our former locomotives and this one is the one we refuse to give up on. They tried to get us to sell it and we have said no way for a long time and stand firm in that position. At this point they don't want to work with us so we are forced to take another route. We have been approached by the trail advocates to get a larger platform to get the railroad a bad wrap and we refused to damage the corridor. I have said this before and I'll say it once again, keep the line but dump ARPS! They are doing more harm than good. I remember a time when it was about the railroad and now it's about egos and self interest.
 #1441837  by tree68

The Man wrote:They tried to get us to sell it and we have said no way for a long time and stand firm in that position.
I've heard numerous times that it's been offered for sale. What kind of price is being asked?