Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by VRELackie

Hey Metra nuts, i was wondering if you could do someone a favor. I work for the company that is overseeing the purchase of more Nipponsharyo gallery cars for VRE. The same company that is responsible for your new gallery cars.

Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing i do not know...

but if someone could do me a huge favor i'll be forever in their debt

if someone could snap some pictures of the low level exit path marking in the new gallery cars, specifically a cab car that would be awesome.

we cannot get this stuff to pass tests for flame smoke and toxicity. Along with the fact that i have heard it does not hold up well on your guy's new cars.

just to clarify the stuff i'm talkign about is the day glow green emergency path marking in the aisles and around the emergency window rows.

just some halfway decent closeups from a few different cars would be awesome... i really would appreciate it.

by AmtrakFan

Yes I was able get a shot for you PM me for your e-mail so I can send it.

by Tadman

I was going to volunteer, but it looks like we're taken care of already. For my two cents, I've always like the Nipponsharyo cars on CSS and Metra - fairly well put together, and one of the few manufacturers that understand the american market. Also, you may be able to sample the low-level decals on the nearby MARC system - they have single level Nippon Sharyo cars.

by VRELackie

Tadman wrote:I was going to volunteer, but it looks like we're taken care of already. For my two cents, I've always like the Nipponsharyo cars on CSS and Metra - fairly well put together, and one of the few manufacturers that understand the american market. Also, you may be able to sample the low-level decals on the nearby MARC system - they have single level Nippon Sharyo cars.

i ride MARC every day, i actually live in maryland,the MARC spec for their sungle level cars was completely different

i already tried that route to compare materials, but the MARC spec called for a different marking method.

The reason i asked for Metra path marking in particular is that we (VRE) are actually working off of the existing metra design for the Gallery cars, and the produect submitted for use by NipponSharyo for use on the VRE cars is the same as the Metra cars.

You're definitely thinking like a railroad consultant though big thumbs up for that.