Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by TheGortex

If anybody here has a DVD copy of "Wierd Science" could you help me figure out which RTA/Metra Engine appears near the end of the film? I believe that it's 161, but I cannot read it.

I'm pretty sure that is the only time that the RTA ever appeared in film.

by MetraPace

The first unit shown is 165. The odd part of that is if you pause the film and zoom in on it, you will see that the picture is backwards. After the car drives around the gate, 165 is leading the train, again I believe the picture is backwards, and the next time they show the train, 513 is pushing on the rear. That picture is displayed correctly.

Brad
  by TheGortex

MetraPace wrote:...and the next time they show the train, 513 is pushing on the rear...
Wasn't 513 an E8? Looked like an F40 to me.

by byte

Yep, 513 was an E8.

by Tadman

Didn't home alone have an RTA train in it? Even if the F40 was painted in Metra rather than RTA, the CNW bilevels still had the RTA paintjob they retained until the last few years.

by TheGortex

Yeah it did, but after Metra took over, I stopped considering those RTA cars. The trains on the UP lines still have that RTA club car.

by MetraPace

Going back to Weird Science, both an F40 and an E8 were shown. The E8 was in the very last clip of the train sequence and you have to look fast because it goes by very quick.

As for Home Alone, it did feature an F40 in Metra paint. I've never been able to figure out which F40 it is though. I even bought the DVD to zoom in on it and that didn't help. All I can tell is that the village name on the F40 is two words, which narrows down the list quite a bit, but still doesn't provide an exact number.

Brad