Railroad Forums 

• Need advice on the Roundhouse/MDC RS-3

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#3472  by NYC-BKO

I'm looking at getting an MDC RS-3, I found one where the price is right for my budget.
Besides the lack of a headlight which doesn't bother me, what are anyones experience with this loco.
Tuning up tips, etc.

#3482  by JDFX

interestingly, just before the old forum went down, there was a very good, extensive discussion on this very model.

I stand behind it as a stable despite the fact that others had made higher priced versions.

#3751  by krobar

I was one of the contributers to the old thread. You won't go wrong with that loco. As long as it's the new, improved drive. It's similar to the P2K-Athearn drive. You would just have to break it in the way you would an Athearn. If it's the old original drive you'll be looking at a slow poke. They crawl even at full throttle. :)

#4956  by Hostler

I have one of the first generation MDC RS-3. Actually I like the slow speed since most branch lines aren't maintained for more that 25-35 mph. It is good for yard work and branch line but to slow for a mainline freight run.

Bob

#9043  by NYC-BKO

While I finally went to order the RS-3, this was from Hobby Circle in Brooklyn,NY :( I would
not recommend them at all. First the original price they advertised was 36.99 what a bargain, then I checked the web site the night before I called and the price was 38.84 still great price listed 6 roadnames, when I called they asked what roadname, I told them, they were sold out, I said it didn't matter then as I was repainting it anyway, ALL SOLD OUT. The website was just updated 2 days prior nothing listed as sold out, but he did say he could special order me one at a considerable higher price tag! Yea right!!!!! I consider this false advertising just to get you to contact them, so I do not recommend them at all. :(