Railroad Forums 

• NEC Equipment Moves and Test Trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1354948  by ALP46A 4662

I'm not too sure about this but isn't there some FRA rule that requires locomotives (ALP45DP in this case) to be willing and able to exceed their designed speed by 15 MPH? If this is true the 45's should be able to top at 115 in diesel mode and 140 in electric? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
 #1354950  by DutchRailnut

no such rule, but during testing they will try to exceed max speed by about 15 to see what happens in case, a train exceeds speed limit.
If locomotive just won't go faster , that problem is eliminated already.
 #1354955  by ApproachMedium

Those speeds were already tested, exceeded, and certified at the TTCI in colorado when the engines were new. The testing done now is sustained high speed operations in real world environment. Eventually they were supposed to do testing to perryville as well.
 #1355104  by Fan Railer

Speaking of testing to perryville, here's the link to an image of the 45DP pair powering a mixed consist of amtrak cars (including Viewliner Is) in Maryland:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 781&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Credits to Jim Kleeman‎

And a video from an earlier night test from Greg Grice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dC4pUJ9cLE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1355241  by ThirdRail7

ACeInTheHole wrote:Who woulda thunk that the 45s would be responsible for clearing the Cardinal, Star, Meteor and Crescent for 125 mph operation.
The alps piggybacked on the test train to save the FRA time and allowed The two railroads to kill two birds with one stone. So the opposite is likely true. Additionally, until the new diners arrive, trains so equipped with will remain limited to 110mph.
 #1355358  by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:Who woulda thunk that the 45s would be responsible for clearing the Cardinal, Star, Meteor and Crescent for 125 mph operation.
The alps piggybacked on the test train to save the FRA time and allowed The two railroads to kill two birds with one stone. So the opposite is likely true. Additionally, until the new diners arrive, trains so equipped with will remain limited to 110mph.
Yes yes. I understand the logic of it.. Its just from a subjective standpoint funny to think about. I also forgot about the diners. Oops. The Cardinal will see an immediate benefit from this though.
 #1358481  by Train2009

At just before 2 PM this afternoon GP40-2 #4302 pulled some Multi-level and Arrow MU cars with a ALP46 in between the cars as it went by Linden headed east from Morrisville to MMC.
 #1358523  by DutchRailnut

twropr wrote:Did one of these test trains with the NJ Transit ALP45s make it to Boston?
Andy
seriously doubt it as the ALP45DP is not cleared for MN.
 #1358524  by ApproachMedium

DutchRailnut wrote:
twropr wrote:Did one of these test trains with the NJ Transit ALP45s make it to Boston?
Andy
seriously doubt it as the ALP45DP is not cleared for MN.
Isnt that what the clearance bureau and form Ds are for? You can move anything anywhere with the right paperwork and it fitting any clearance dimensions.