Railroad Forums 

• National Railroads Strike in September?

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1611547  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is a short summary article appearing in today's Times that I think presents a concise overview of the dispute to its readers who do not have any direct connection to, or interest in, the railroad industry.
 #1611557  by taracer

jaymac wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:57 am Will the Brotherhoods remember that the Senate Republicans voted against the separate bill that would have mandated 7 days of paid sick-time? I haven't and won't forget.
Even the House Republicans voted for the separate bill.
It will be remembered, but it's more likely to hurt the Democrats. Without getting too political here, I know the Republicans I work with will not vote for the Democrats because of some other issues.

I won't go as far to say that those of us that vote for Democrats will switch, but maybe a lot will just stay home is a possibility. Biden made a big mistake here, clearly siding against labor.

It may be enough to swing elections.
 #1611602  by eolesen

No, he did answer the question: despite the rhetoric, nobody's going to switch parties over this if they're aligned one way or the other, but the enthusiasm to keep voting for those people might be questionable.
 #1611607  by justalurker66

eolesen wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:42 pmNo, he did answer the question: despite the rhetoric, nobody's going to switch parties over this if they're aligned one way or the other, but the enthusiasm to keep voting for those people might be questionable.
An that was answer ... not changing a vote, but changing whether or not someone votes. Getting the "why bother" potential voters to actually vote has changed elections. Turning your supporters into "why bother" non-voters can affect an outcome.

In this case I don't believe this move will be seen by the majority of Americans or even the majority of union members as a negative. One should not be criticized for not sticking up for the union employees when most unions approved the deal. The union negotiators accepted the deal and recommended that their members support it.
 #1611693  by taracer

It's not going to be seen by a majority of Americans as a negative now that the narrative has been changed, the average person thinks the workers are the bad guys. They thought labor was going to break the economy, blaming labor instead of these huge corporations.

Once the original strike date was broken by the "tentative agreement", a lot of us thought that was the best we going to get. It is slight better than the PEB recommendations, but not even close to what we wanted. It actually favors the companies.

I the meantime I have seen the Delta pilots got a deal that is very much like what we were looking for. Sets a new industry standard on quality-of-life issues, in addition to a good raise.

That's why I said the railroads may think they have won, but they have lost. They are going to have a hard time finding new hires to work under these conditions in the day.

A total meltdown in rail transportation is certain, sooner rather than later. We've already seen the beginnings of it this summer.
 #1611695  by Railjunkie

taracer wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:26 am I

That's why I said the railroads may think they have won, but they have lost. They are going to have a hard time finding new hires to work under these conditions in the day.

A meltdown in rail transportation is certain, sooner rather than later.
I see it at Amtrak newbies come newbies go some not even making their ninety days before they pull the pin. I to see a mass exodus of employees once those back pay checks clear. You guys on the freight side put up with so much more BS. Its easier riding the cushions although the NS/CSX mentality is creeping in here too.