Railroad Forums 

• Naporano Iron & Metal (NIMX) - Newark, NJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#9349  by BlockLine_4111

Ok for starters I want to kick off a new thread on NIMX. Are these fellas still in biz or what ?

I have a nice photo album of 110 & 126 color pix when my grandfather and I used to tresspass on their turf on weekends back some 20 years ago.

Amtrak & CR GG1s, Rock Island and Burlington Northern locos, other stuff.

I assume they were Italians and I even heard references "scrapranos".[/b]

#9362  by Mudvalve

I believe they still are, however the last time i passed by on route 1 and 9 i did not see any signs above the buildings advertising the name of the company. I have also seen some RR equipment, box cars, etc in the yard itself. Couldn't really tell, didn't stop to check it out.

Not sure but i thought i saw something on the old forums concerning the name of the buisness now.

#9461  by nolifeCRchaser

Naparano is still in business. It is part of a company called Metal Management or something on those lines. They aquired some Amtrak E-60's a few months back and just a few days ago there were some green&white pups at Oak Island yard bound for Naparanos. They have an exConrail B23-7(see the link for pic) that is still in use for switching within their yard and there are several pups scattered within the yard. The freight cars that you see from 1&9 are in Brills Yard which is still used by Conrail Shared Assets. There is usually a CSX or Conrail engine working in Brills yard.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/954 ... 0441QsnNDO

#16831  by N. Todd

So they are still in business- that's obvious.
I'm curious, why did they suddenly stop scrapping locomotives on a mass scale in 1994?

Block Line-would you happen to have any shots of Alcos there?

#16963  by transit383

. They aquired some Amtrak E-60's a few months back and just a few days ago there were some green&white pups at Oak Island yard bound for Naparanos.
According to the photos linked below, the Amtrak E60s were lettered for "MLMX" prior to being scrapped. Is this the same company?

http://www.jefflubchanskycpa.com/MLMX60 ... 3DG520.jpg

http://www.jefflubchanskycpa.com/MLMX61 ... 316-8A.jpg

#16966  by BigDell

ahhhh....

The saddest sight in the world (to a railfan)...

A line of once mighty locos (or motors) on the way to the scrapyard....

Sigh....

I almost haven't the heart to go by Naporano anymore. I seem to remember from the old threads that the owners hate locomotives and railfans (legend or fact?)... and that they can't wait to chop apart the best and most preservation-worthy engines....

:-(

BigDell

#16993  by DutchRailnut

I don't think it has to do with hate, but a locomotive going for scrap has had its chances at auctions etc.
Its some preservation groups that want a bargain at scrapsteel price but then can't get money together, so a scrap dealer only sees his piece off scrap cluttering his property till someone makes up their mind. so yes whats in it for him ???

#21462  by 7 Train

Naporano is very much in business. It scraps bus parts in addition to rail cars. Many old NYC buses can be seen on the site. In the late 1980s, the site was busy when NYCT was scrapping its 1950s-era subway cars.

#21671  by dave76

Todd that picture is a sad sad sight, almost makes me want to cry.