Railroad Forums 

• N&W GP7's (ex-Wabash)

• Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
Discussion related to the Norfolk & Western, up to 1982. Also includes discussion of the Virginian Railway (1959); Wabash; Nickel Plate; Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway; Akron, Canton & Youngstown Raiload (all 1964); and the Illinois Terminal (1981).
 #690219  by ken jones

I'm just wondering if anyone knows when the N&W retired the ex-Wabash GP7's from service. I haven't been able to dig anything up on it as of yet, and if anyone knows, please pass it along. Did they make it into NS service and then get retired?? Are there any still around??

Ken
 #700728  by nwgp9511

The ex-Wabash GP7's and GP9's served the N&W well, being repainted N&W blue, and then most, if not all N&W black. They were all retired in 1983 and 1984, traded in to GE and EMD, or sent directly to scrappers. I don't believe that any saw service with NS, nor were any repainted. I remember seeing many of them stored dead in Decatur, IL right after the merger.