Railroad Forums 

• N-5 Body Shells At Morrison - Knudsen

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1597291  by newkirk

The subject involves the N-5 Norristown body shells I photographed at Morrison-Knudsen in October of 1991. Below is a passage from a post on SubChat. The question the poster asked me is how did these body shells get to M & K ? Anybody's help would be appreciated.
I got my information from a PDF on line with the title Modernization of SEPTA's Norristown High-Speed Line by J William Vigrass. This is the particular paragraph I based my information on:

The car builder is a joint venture of ABB Traction/
AMTRAK. ABB is a merger of ASEA (Swedish Electric)
and Brown Boveri (Swiss). AMTRAK's Beech Grove, Indiana, shop will assemble the cars; the car body shell will be
fabricated by SOREFAME, Lisbon, Portugal, a Budd Co.
licensee. The first two shells arrived at Beech Grove in
April 1989]

#1597353  by R36 Combine Coach

Yes, this is indeed Hornell. At left of the second shot is a CTA 3200 under construction.

More interesting in the first shot is a CTA 2600 to the right of the N-5 (2600s have smooth stainless, 3200s
corrugated). This was long before the first 2600s left for Hornell shops from rebuilt in later 1998 (by then
Alstom). I'm guessing this might a wreck rebuild, being sent to MK due to damage beyond the scope of
what could be done in Skokie.

Seeing the N-5s in Hornell is surprising, given ABB's own assembly and overhaul shop in Elmira Heights (now
CAF). They do resemble the 1967 Cleveland Red Line "Airporters" to some degree and also their 1984-85 Tokyu Car replacements.
 #1597364  by newkirk

R36 Cobine Coach.

So were the N-5's assembled in Hornell ? I'm still not sure why they were there.