Railroad Forums 

• MyTix Mobile Ticketing

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1244038  by JoeG

Ryanov's proposal would work. If I get up the energy I'll send it to NJT and see if I get a response.
 #1244715  by JoeG

Another outage yesterday. This time got message, Activation Failed System Error Call Helpdesk.
I sent them another complaint. If they are offering this service it has to work consistently to be any use. Incidentally I also sent in Ryanov's suggestion that the tickets be stored on the phone and synced with the server instead of stored only on the server. My guess is, as the service is becoming more widely used, we get to see that NJT didn't build a robust enough infrastructure for it. Probably lack of money.
If Christie hocked his cones, would that provide enough money for an extra servedr? :wink:
 #1248219  by philipmartin

A passenger activated his ticket yesterday and then found that service was suspended. He came to me asking for a refund, about an hour before his mytix would have expired. I asked customer service and she said that it couldn't be refunded, and suggested that I give him a courtesy ticket. Obviously, if there hadn't been a ticket agent here, he couldn't have gotten a courtesy ticket. In a case like that,if you want to pursue it, it is good to be able to give customer service exact train numbers, times and dates, so that they can verify the service outage.
 #1273368  by philipmartin

They are making announcements now. MyTix customers should activate them prior to boarding the train. Anyone who tenders his device to the ticket collector before it is activated my have to purchase his ticket the old way, and pay the $5.00 surcharge.
 #1273382  by Steampowered

the system is unreliable. and designed to steal tickets. Why cant NJT do ticketing like amtrak and just scan a bar code or number. Once the system knows it been used , the system takes out the number.
 #1273414  by JoeG

Except for emergencies I have gone back to paper tickets. I have had various problems with MyTix, but all of NYP is a problem zone. And, even when it works there it can take several minutes, which means you may miss your train. So far, when this happened, the conductors have been patient and have waited until the train came out of the ground in NJ, at which time the problem (so far) has gone away. But if now NJT management is trying to say this won't be allowed, that's further reason to go back to paper.
 #1273551  by Steampowered

philipmartin wrote:They are making announcements now. MyTix customers should activate them prior to boarding the train. Anyone who tenders his device to the ticket collector before it is activated my have to purchase his ticket the old way, and pay the $5.00 surcharge.

They might as well , just end mobile ticketing.
 #1273556  by nomis

I always thought that the "activate ticket via server connection" for MyTix was not a good way to run the service with the cellular definicies around the physical plant.

It seems that the "activate on device only" is the better option for users especially where tunnels and dropout spots happen. This is the app that Masabi / JustRide app that is currently active on the MBTA and San Diego, and contracted to be made by Metro North & LIRR.
 #1273967  by DestinationUnknown

Steampowered wrote:the system is unreliable. and designed to steal tickets. Why cant NJT do ticketing like amtrak and just scan a bar code or number. Once the system knows it been used , the system takes out the number.
Not that I speak for every trainman and I certainly do not speak for NJT, but us having scanners would just be one more thing for us to have to keep on us at all times not to mention (yeah, no thanks), NJT would have to change all of its current ticketing in order to implement some kind of system wide barcode scanner technology which would seem like needlessly spending precious dollars when the current system overall is fine.

The rare occasion when My Tix craps out across the board is one thing, but for the most part it seems to work fine. If only those using it actually read the agreement it makes you say yes or no to after downloading, I'd have less people telling me what the rules for mobile tickets are!
 #1274067  by Steampowered

DestinationUnknown wrote:
Steampowered wrote:the system is unreliable. and designed to steal tickets. Why cant NJT do ticketing like amtrak and just scan a bar code or number. Once the system knows it been used , the system takes out the number.
Not that I speak for every trainman and I certainly do not speak for NJT, but us having scanners would just be one more thing for us to have to keep on us at all times not to mention (yeah, no thanks), NJT would have to change all of its current ticketing in order to implement some kind of system wide barcode scanner technology which would seem like needlessly spending precious dollars when the current system overall is fine.

The rare occasion when My Tix craps out across the board is one thing, but for the most part it seems to work fine. If only those using it actually read the agreement it makes you say yes or no to after downloading, I'd have less people telling me what the rules for mobile tickets are!
they just need to make it friendlier , tickets should be stored on the phone. Fining someone $5 for not activating a ticket, cause of no celliular connecton is just wrong . Doesnt NJT already have an agreement with time warner for wifi, cant they just put some open access points near njt trains ?
 #1274102  by ryanov

I think there is probably Optimum Wifi at every station. I've only checked at the ones I've been sitting at long enough for it to matter (I don't even know about NYP actually).
 #1274104  by DestinationUnknown

Steampowered wrote:
DestinationUnknown wrote:

they just need to make it friendlier , tickets should be stored on the phone. Fining someone $5 for not activating a ticket, cause of no celliular connecton is just wrong . Doesnt NJT already have an agreement with time warner for wifi, cant they just put some open access points near njt trains ?
Everything you're saying is fine, but enough passengers have active, working mobile tickets when leaving Penn Station, my guess being because these tickets were activated prior to boarding.
 #1274110  by CentralValleyRail

NJ Transit is the last one to the parade in just about every aspect.

Having Wifi on trains should've been done 5 plus years ago yet we are still waiting for some sign of activity in that department. Their excuse is well we have it in 10 stations (OMG! lets celebrate) just like with Montclair weekend service, "well we do go to Bay Street. IDIOTS!

With all that hate being passed on I must mention I use the MyTix Mobile App and other then one time when the server was down I've NEVER had a problem activating my ticket.
 #1274146  by philipmartin

Steampowered wrote: Fining someone $5 for not activating a ticket, cause of no celliular connecton is just wrong .
Today's station announcements and the alert on the website for the past few days omit mention of possibly having to buy the ticket on the train and pay the surcharge. They just say remember to activate your ticket before you get on the train. Maybe they figured the penalty part of the announcement wasn't helping their image.
Last edited by philipmartin on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1274224  by ryanov

It has been announced on board every train I've taken lately.

I suggest the gentleman above who is calling people idiots but seems to know very little about anything should temper his words.