Railroad Forums 

• Mystery Bridge Near Pottstown

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1299297  by pumpers

I can access the maps through work, but they aren't openly avaialable on-line unfortuntately. A lot of town libraries have paper copies for their local towns/regions, but I haven't found them on-line in general though. For New Jersey I did find once an on-line source available to the public: http://library.princeton.edu/libraries/ ... s/sanborn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(click on county, then town...), but it won't help here. Sorry I can't be of more help...
JS
 #1299362  by fp7fan

Here is a photo taken in 1938, I think, after the furnaces and other buildings were torn down that clearly shows the bridge leading to some kind of dumping ground. The Reading tracks are visible in the upper right hand corner of the photo, just below Rt. 422 (West High St.) and the tracks of the PRR Schuylkill Valley Division are closer to the river.
Attachments:
bridge.jpg
bridge.jpg (177.67 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
 #1403962  by fp7fan

The bridge did lead to an area across the river where they dumped slag from the steel mill. After the mill closed, Duquesne Slag Products set up a slag-crushing plant. The slag could be used as railroad ballast, aggregate for concrete, land fill, etc. Attached photo taken in 1944 shows one of Duquesne Slag's 0-4-0 locomotives at one end of the bridge.
Attachments:
slag.jpg
slag.jpg (527.96 KiB) Viewed 2279 times