Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MNRR PA OPERATOR

I decided to use my vacation time in 2006 to go to Chicago, a place i have never been before. My friend who knew Chicago, helped show me things about it. I took Amtrak 49 into Chicago Union station and Amtrak 48 from chicago back to NY. Anyways I spoke to the operating personnel of the CTA, and they said they are CROs (Combined Rail Operators). I guess it is determined by senority, will determine if you operate a train, work in the booth (Im assuming thats information) or Ground Flag jobs for trackwork. Do i have it right?

Thanx in advance for answering, and I enjoyed my time there, its a NICE system. I'll be back

by Tadman

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, but I don't think we have any CTA employees here - just Metra, CSS, and WSOR as far as I know.

by MNRR PA OPERATOR

im actually going back to chicago for presidents day weekend! Im bringing the misses, and a few friends this time. Are the pink wrapped cars still on the pink line?

by orangeline

It's been a few weeks since I've been in the city, but I did see several cars that were painted pink for the Pink Line. A more unusual sight that should happen is seeing a train decorated in Bears logo to celebrate their Super Bowl victory! It is now 14-6 Bears at the end of the 1st quarter. Go Bears!

by MNRR PA OPERATOR

ITS funny your name is the orange line cause thas what we r takin when we land at midway 2 the hotel at library!

by orangeline

What can I say, it's the line I take to get into the city. Hope you have a good flight in and enjoy your visit!