Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#159286  by AmtrakFan

Group,
When I was on the BNSF 4:30PM Local it was a mob seen because of the Air and Water show then they boarded the train. The Train left with no HEP there were drunk people, Babies Crying, Loud Kins, People Screaming it was terrible and people in the asiles. Then we stop in the Terminal Tracks broken no one said anything then we pull into the yard I later found out the cab car 8585 was causing problems to the F40 189 this happens a lot the conductor said. They were going to drop 8585 but then it didn't work they took of 189 and put on 185 which took over an 1 Hour. The Train was Hot, Stinky, Loud, No AC. The HEP came back on after we left. But I had enjoyable BN inbound and bothways on the MILW to Glenview. Today's Train broke 300 Feet from where my 1st Breakdown occured on Amtrak Train 303 with F40 384 in 96.

#159291  by MetraRy

that sounds bad. least you something different happened even rode on yard tracks. I think that car causes a lot of problems. I have noticed a couple of times trains without cabs going westbound in the evening rush. i wonder if its this car that causes the problems

#159293  by AmtrakFan

The Conductor he said they stunk big time. I have never seen then runwithout one.

#159301  by MetraRy

it happened twice i think a month ago. Someone on here saw it and i saw a train without one a little bit after that. i am not sure if it was because problems with 8000s or another cab type.

#159311  by MetraBNSF

I remember earlier this year that cab car 799 was dropped from the rear of a train during the middle of the afternoon rush for reasons unknown. Another cab car on the same consist, 812 was positioned 7 cars back. This particular train had 816, a trailer bring up the rear.

#159313  by AmtrakFan

MetraBNSF wrote:I remember earlier this year that cab car 799 was dropped from the rear of a train during the middle of the afternoon rush for reasons unknown. Another cab car on the same consist, 812 was positioned 7 cars back. This particular train had 816, a trailer bring up the rear.
Our other Cab Car was 801.

#159394  by AmtrakFan

We got a free ride. People always shut up when they get something free. But many people said never again and would write to BN, Metra and their Congressman.

#159451  by MetraF40C607

Hey stuff happens, even too Metra. What are you going too do? Oh well. I must admit, though. That is kind of weird that a cab car and engine would be fighting like that.
 #160720  by MetraBNSF

AmtrakFan wrote:Then we stop in the Terminal Tracks broken no one said anything then we pull into the yard I later found out the cab car 8585 was causing problems to the F40 189 this happens a lot the conductor said. They were going to drop 8585 but then it didn't work they took of 189 and put on 185 which took over an 1 Hour.
Ironically, 8585 led a mid-day train today with MP36 405 pushing. 8585 is mid-train on a Naperville express, but the rear 6 cars are cut during the mid-day.
 #160773  by doepack

MetraBNSF wrote:Ironically, 8585 led a mid-day train today with MP36 405 pushing. 8585 is mid-train on a Naperville express, but the rear 6 cars are cut during the mid-day.
I've noticed that too. I wonder if this is the set that runs 1229 (dep CUS at 1030) and 1266 (dep Aurora at 1220)...
 #160778  by MetraBNSF

doepack wrote:I've noticed that too. I wonder if this is the set that runs 1229 (dep CUS at 1030) and 1266 (dep Aurora at 1220)...
That's the one. I saw that train at Lisle yesterday. That trainset makes a total of 4 daily runs. So I can see the need for an MP36 to be assigned.
 #160785  by doepack

MetraBNSF wrote:That's the one. I saw that train at Lisle yesterday. That trainset makes a total of 4 daily runs. So I can see the need for an MP36 to be assigned.
Yep, the larger fuel tanks of the MP36 definitely come in handy on that set. BTW, upon arrival at CUS, 1266's equipment deadheads to 14th St yard after unloading its passengers. Wouldn't be suprised if it then picks up the same six cars it dropped off earlier, then returns to CUS later on for a Naperville express trip...