Railroad Forums 

• Museum Comet Is and ME's Comet Is

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#480751  by Sid Farkus

This Sunday I noticed something different about the Whippany Comet Is. They had ME written next to the number on the side. Does ME own them? I thought the Museum owned the three cars that have the burgundy band. The cars I saw where the same only with ME reporting marks.
 #662501  by blockline4180

Susquehaniewikiwokiwani wrote:This Sunday I noticed something different about the Whippany Comet Is. They had ME written next to the number on the side. Does ME own them? I thought the Museum owned the three cars that have the burgundy band. The cars I saw where the same only with ME reporting marks.

Yes, M&E owns a handful of Comet I's.. Last I heard they were still tucked in at the old Suburban Propane siding.

Also heard a rumor M&E might be getting more of the recently retired Comet I's sitting at MMC..I can't confirm that though.
 #662747  by RS115

Last Saturday's Easter Bunny Express carried two of the museum Comets and one of the M&E's. The third museum Comet was in the run-around, I'm assuming that it was bad-ordered for some reason and the M&E provided one of theirs as a substitute.

A
 #671318  by Sid Farkus

What exactly does the ME have planned for their cars? They use the Museum ones on the only trips that the ME participates in except for the previous Easter Bunny and that trip in Pennsylvania.
 #775943  by gravelyfan

Does anyone know the numbers of the M&E's Comet I cars? I have the three Whippany numbers (from their website):

(ME) 1753 Ex NJT 1729 Nee El 1753
(ME) 1786 Ex NJT 1733 Nee EL 1786
(ME) 1803 Ex NJT 1740 Nee EL 1803
 #777414  by Sid Farkus

ME's comet I cars are: 1703, 1715, 1716, 1743 (still has disco stripes), and 1748. All except 1748 were most recently used on excursion trains in Pennsylvania in October of 2009. 1748 was most recently seen in Maine (12/08). I'm just going by the pictures of what I saw, a lot could of changed since then.