Railroad Forums 

• Murphy ends mask mandate on NJ Transit - How will this affect ridership?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1595975  by Ken W2KB

>>>"Gov. Phil Murphy has ended the rule requiring face coverings on NJ Transit, a day after a federal judge voided the national mask mandate covering airplanes and other public transportation."<<<

Will this increase or decrease ridership? Many people are reluctant or flat out refuse to enter premises where mask use is minimal, due to personal safety or risk of contracting even a minor case and spreading Covid to their other family members and friends.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2022/04/mur ... uling.html
 #1596024  by JohnFromJersey

Ken W2KB wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:49 am >>>"Gov. Phil Murphy has ended the rule requiring face coverings on NJ Transit, a day after a federal judge voided the national mask mandate covering airplanes and other public transportation."<<<

Will this increase or decrease ridership? Many people are reluctant or flat out refuse to enter premises where mask use is minimal, due to personal safety or risk of contracting even a minor case and spreading Covid to their other family members and friends.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2022/04/mur ... uling.html
Don't think it will change much. From my experience on NJT, a lot of the conductors wore their masks incorrectly, if wore them at all. Same for the passengers.

Mask or not, public transportation should be your last mode of transit, if you can avoid it, if you are worried about getting yourself or others sick. From all the cars on the road going towards NYC, it seems like the people afraid of COVID are just driving now.
 #1596260  by lensovet

It will be interesting to see for sure. Not everyone wants to drive — there were absolutely people who felt comfortable enough to take public transit due to general masking who might not feel that way anymore. Same for flying.

That said, I have no sense of what portion of the riding population that is.
 #1596421  by eolesen

For every one person who might avoid public transit because of the lack of masks there's going to be one person who avoided public transit because they didn't want to wear a mask...
 #1596540  by Ken W2KB

"What a fantastic idea: A mask car on NJ Transit | Editorial"
"Much like the “quiet car” that’s already designated on the train, where you can’t blabber away on your cell phone, having a “mask car” would be about providing passengers a more comfortable environment."
https://www.nj.com/opinion/2022/04/what ... orial.html
 #1596586  by lensovet

Ken W2KB wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:09 am "What a fantastic idea: A mask car on NJ Transit | Editorial"
"Much like the “quiet car” that’s already designated on the train, where you can’t blabber away on your cell phone, having a “mask car” would be about providing passengers a more comfortable environment."
https://www.nj.com/opinion/2022/04/what ... orial.html
In fact, this article even provides some stats to the previous post:
Yes, we’re all tired of masks, but an AP poll released last week found that 56% of Americans favor a mandate for public transportation, while only 24% are opposed.
So seems unlikely for it to be a 1:1 ratio.

Doesn't seem like a bad idea. One thing that would be interesting to see would be whether just a single car would suffice, and for people who want to be masked and have some peace, which one they'd prefer.
 #1596610  by eolesen

andrewjw wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:16 pm do you have any data to suggest the ratio is 1:1?
Has anyone used data in any of this Covid policy making?......

The bulk of people riding are going to ride either way. They have to get to work one way or another, and I don't think masks or no masks are going to influence their mode of travel.

People who wouldn't ride before because of masks or people who won't ride now because of the lack of masks are going to be on the fringe, and fringe paranoia tends to cancel each other out.
 #1596774  by andrewjw

eolesen wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:27 pm
Has anyone used data in any of this Covid policy making?......

The bulk of people riding are going to ride either way. They have to get to work one way or another, and I don't think masks or no masks are going to influence their mode of travel.

People who wouldn't ride before because of masks or people who won't ride now because of the lack of masks are going to be on the fringe, and fringe paranoia tends to cancel each other out.
To be clear, you are the one who made the 1:1 claim, I was just asking you to back it up or admit you made it up.
 #1596793  by eolesen

The data does exist for other modes of travel and retail. Extrapolating that to commuting is an educated guess based on 35 years of studying transportation purchase and refund behaviors, and a dose of common sense... Do feel free to prove it wrong.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1596889  by eolesen

Meh, this isn't a dissertation or thesis nor is it investment or legal advice. It's a hobbyist/enthusiast forum where people get to state opinions. No cites necessary.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1596968  by WashingtonPark

I have a serious question about all this. I wait in line at a grocery store, snack stand, amusement park or in a crowd on the concourse at a minor league game and maybe 10% of the people are wearing a mask. You're triple vaxxed, double masked and panic stricken if you walk on a train and everybody else isn't the same. Just what puts people in a mental state that being in crowds everywhere but the train unmasked is OK. What's the mindset that makes the train so utterly dangerous compared to everything else. And just to clarify on the 10% comment, I live in liberal NJ, just got back from the Shop Rite on senior day, and I'd say 10% masked would be on the high side. Not looking for lectures as to why everyone should be masked all the time, just why 58% of the populace feels mask mandates should be enforced on public transportation but 90% don't wear them anywhere else.
 #1597126  by lensovet

I think there's a couple of things:

- not everyone who takes transit goes to amusement parks
- transit is a much more space restricted space
- if the idea is that things go "back to normal" in terms of passenger loads on trains, i'm personally rarely standing so close to someone waiting in line at Shoprite vs. on the train at rush hour when it's standing room only. personally? i can't remember the last time i waited in line in a grocery store because i go to self checkout and there's rarely a line there.

but i think mainly the difference is in density and the fact that you can't really choose to commute at a less busy time. unlike, say, your Shoprite example where you can choose to go on senior day. there's no senior day for the morning commute.