• MTA gets new administrator

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by HokieNav

From the Baltimore Sun:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/co ... 1903.story

Great story here, the guy literally started driving buses on the weekend and now is in charge of the entire agency. As the story says at the end, hopefully he'll stay in the job for a good long time and get lots of positive things done.
  by gprimr1

Sounds really good, I too hope that he does a lot of good and doesn't forget his roots.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Gprimer, I agree. After reading the article, I felt as though there may still be hope for this industry yet. Its nice to see that he came up thru the ranks to oversee a system that he will now oversee. Anymore, in this industry whether its railroads, or transit , guys(gals too) get a big job but they never came up thru the ranks and mostly dont have a clue. I had an Amtrak trainmaster yell at me a few weeks back in Penn Station because of a stupid equipment move where this 1 yard crew was adding 2 diesels on the back end of a train that I had to take to Sunnyside Yard. This kid just came out of college , and wanted to push his weight as TM and was wondering why it took so long for this move to get done. I snapped back, that when he actually knows the rules and equipment, then he can come back and say something. He jumped down on the track area near the 3rd rail, and I yelled at him to come up and he said no. I said you arent qualified with the physical characteristics and you are standing 3 inches from the 3rd rail. Man I have never seen someone run so fast. Haha.With that in mind, its refreshing to hear someone coming up the ranks.
  by realtype

I'm glad they got someone from their ranks who knows the MTA inside out. Hopefully he'll continue to improve the MTA and it's services, especially MARC service. Widefield did a pretty good job in the position and did a whole lot more in his tenure than his predecessor did. Good luck to both of them.