Railroad Forums 

• MTA 2025-2044 20-Year Needs Assessment

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1603223  by Train60

https://new.mta.info/20YN

Here's the current list of potential expansion and enhancement projects to be evaluated as part of the 2025-2040 Needs Assessment

10th Avenue station on Flushing Line

Danbury-Southeast connection
Reactivation of a 14-mile portion of the Beacon Line between Southeast New York and Danbury, Connecticut, for passenger service.

Extension of the New Lots Av 3 line
Extending the New Lots Av line on an elevated structure southeast through Livonia Yard to a new terminal at either Flatlands Avenue and Linwood Street/Elton Street, or in the vicinity of Spring Creek and Gateway Center Mall.

Harlem Line capacity improvements

Hudson Line connection to Penn Station

Interborough Express

Inner New Haven Line yard

Long Island Rail Road Elmhurst Station

Myrtle Avenue busway

Port Jefferson Branch improvements

Port Jervis Line capacity improvements

Rail line and branch electrification

Reactivation of the Lower Montauk Branch

Reactivation of the Rockaway Beach Branch

Second Avenue Subway, westbound expansion to 125th Street

Second Avenue Subway, phase 3

Speonk-Montauk capacity improvements

Staten Island North Shore bus rapid transit (BRT)

Staten Island West Shore transit improvements

Sunnyside and Long Island City transit improvements

Utica Avenue transit improvements

W line extension to Red Hook

West of Hudson Regional Transit Access Study, Stewart Airport Link
 #1604460  by andrewjw

Mostly, light rail doesn't really meet the needs of NYC - ROW is at such a premium and higher-than-bus-density service should be integrated into the existing system. The IBX could yet be light rail, which would seam reasonable - compare the Paris orbital trams.
 #1613899  by Jeff Smith

SNIPPETS
Train60 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:09 am https://new.mta.info/20YN

Danbury-Southeast connection
Reactivation of a 14-mile portion of the Beacon Line between Southeast New York and Danbury, Connecticut, for passenger service.

Hudson Line connection to Penn Station

Interborough Express

Inner New Haven Line yard
Danbury - SE activation is looking promising per recent studies.

Hudson Line to Penn is probably years off even though it's feasible immediately.

Interborough Express also recently had a study recommending LRT.

Inner New Haven Line yard could be placed in Port Chester behind Kohl's shopping center, and New Rochelle Yard is being expanded for Penn Station access.
 #1614416  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:26 am Danbury - SE activation is looking promising per recent studies.
I see the line get close to SouthEast, and there's a yard nearby... but how are they going to connect the two lines?
 #1614430  by NaugyRR

This link was posted in the Metro-North forum, it's the complete study details...
https://www.nymtc.org/Regional-Planning ... lity-Study

It's a lot to paw through, but if you need to kill a few hours at work... lol

In the Final Report PDF, go to page 52 of the PDF, that's where the track layout proposals begin. I really found the street running proposal for Danbury, interesting? lol
 #1614476  by STrRedWolf

NaugyRR wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:48 pm This link was posted in the Metro-North forum, it's the complete study details...
https://www.nymtc.org/Regional-Planning ... lity-Study

It's a lot to paw through, but if you need to kill a few hours at work... lol

In the Final Report PDF, go to page 52 of the PDF, that's where the track layout proposals begin. I really found the street running proposal for Danbury, interesting? lol
Interesting... the question I have is that isn't service between Wassaic to Southeast diesel service? I can see alternative B being used to switch to the Beacon line to Danbury, using existing diesel equipment.

Still, they need more alternatives to the new Danbury station.
 #1614478  by Jeff Smith

You know, if you look at it on Google Maps, it shouldn't be all that difficult with only a small amount of street running. Simply cut it over at Balmforth Avenue with a tiny length of Patriot Drive. It's not impossible.
 #1614509  by NaugyRR

STrRedWolf wrote: Interesting... the question I have is that isn't service between Wassaic to Southeast diesel service? I can see alternative B being used to switch to the Beacon line to Danbury, using existing diesel equipment.
I don't know what the current availability levels for the diesel fleet are. Both Wassaic and Danbury use Brookvilles for the connecting trains and Gennies for the through trains, but I don't know how many could be freed up to run the new services. They only have about a dozen of the BLs for the three diesel branches, and a maxi-bomb set with a P32 just seems like overkill.
Jeff Smith wrote:You know, if you look at it on Google Maps, it shouldn't be all that difficult with only a small amount of street running. Simply cut it over at Balmforth Avenue with a tiny length of Patriot Drive. It's not impossible.
I see where you're coming from Jeff, but that intersection is a really weird set-up with confusing one-ways, turn lanes, and a tapered median, with not much room on either side of the road. Going directly on to Balmforth would require a really tight turnout and/or demolishing a few buildings, and jumping across the intersection onto Patriot would require a total reconfiguration of that intersection. It's not a bad idea, but I can see how engineers putting the proposal together would want to avoid that. I also don't know what kind of utilities are under those streets.