Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#105561  by MetraBNSF

metra 613 wrote:a guy that i know that works for bnsf as a car cleaner told me two mp derail monday inside the yard i dont know if it was two on the same track or what but that kind of shows u what metra got and the weight is what derail them he told me so there were go
Maybe this explains why there have been fewer MP36s running on BNSF lately.

#105591  by c604.

If I remember right the 645F engines which are in these things plagued the GP and SD50 series with problems back in the 80's. And somewhere I remember hearing that crankshafts breaking was a problem with them...hmm. I know there are some EMD mechanical experts over on the EMD board and I bet they can go into more detail than one can ever imagine, it would be interesting to hear. Parts compatability and training simplification and all that other good stuff is fine now but I was thinking; what's going to happen roughly ten to fifteen years from now when Metra will have a fleet 215 worn out 645E engined locomotives ready to be retired all around the same time frame. Will the MP36's then be the odd locomotives out with 645 engines (presumably the F40's replacements will be ordered with engines a little more updated than 645's I hope).

#105712  by metra 613

yea that why most GP50 and SD50 are not running anymore so what are we looking at the mp36s to be like them 15 years old and geting replace?
well from what there are now i think so there two years old and look and look ween 409 was new on the north line and had all the big metra people in it what did it do brake down at roundout and mess the rush up and u think metra wolud of did a little better homework if there want to last 30 years to me metra got something for there money but not what there wanting all there got is a sd50 made in 2003 with hep just look at what everones saying about them and everone i know that works at metra there be better to keep the f40c and rebulit them like the ic did with its sd40-2 and with the j did with the 38

#105737  by F40CFan

I did hear that that parts inventory and training were two of the bigger considerations for wanting the 645 engine. However, that kind of thinking back in 1950 would have Metra still running steam engines. While that might be nice for fans, it sure wouldn't be very practical.

I'm lead to believe that EMD didn't even bid on the contract. I don't think they wanted to go "back to the future" with the 645.

If I were responsible for new motive power, I would have ordered an up-to-date locomotive with A.C. motors. Or if that was cost-prohibitive, I would have updated the F40Cs with 5,000hp 710s and associated generators and electronics to better utilize the extra traction motors and limit my purchase of new locomotives to the extras I needed to expand service. Training would be included with either contract. I would have limited the new equipment to one or two lines to simplify parts inventory and maintenance.

Maybe this is impractical or far-fetched in the real world, but it seems logical to me.

#105740  by F40CFan

If I remember right the 645F engines which are in these things plagued the GP and SD50 series with problems back in the 80's.
I believe you are right. I seem to remember reading that part of the problem was increasing the horsepower to the limit (or maybe past the limit) on the 645.

#105752  by metra 613

Thats right f40c fan. Metra will have been beter off to do that but there wanting something new and there got it all right. As u can see for yourself there are paying for it to since there had 402 in feb of 2003 there been paying for it. Maybe metra will do there homework alot better next time. But i am not looking for them to do that look at pace with there newer buses there just as bad as the mps. There had good buses just like metra had good units. Now look what there have something that doesnt run half the time. All i have to say is thanks alot metra for buying the most hateing units ever.Yea if people rode with them more i think u be hatting them alittle bit more evertime u ride one. It takes forever to make it go thats if it doesnt brake down. If u work for metra and hard to run them i think everone will hate them then. Did anyone ever sit in the cab of one themthere suck u cant see anything infront of u.
Last edited by metra 613 on Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#105829  by NCSRider

metra 613 wrote:thast right f40c fan metra will have been beter off to do that but there wanting something new and there got it all right as u can see for yourself there are paying for it to since there had 402 in feb of 2003 there benn paying for it maybe metra will do there homework alot better next time but i am not looking for them to do that look at pace with there newer buses there just as bad as the mps there had good buses just like metra had good units now look what there have something that doesnt run half the time all i have to say is thanks alot metra for buying the most hateing units ever and yea if people rode with them more i think u be hatting them alittle bit more evertime u ride one and it takes for ever to make it go thats if it doesnt brake down and if u work for metra and hard to run them i think everone will hate them then did anyone ever sit in the cab of one there suck u cant see anything infront of u
Can you please try to use some punctuation? Your posts give me a headache.

#105906  by MikeF

NCSRider wrote:Can [metra 613] please try to use some punctuation? Your posts give me a headache.
I second that motion!

#106156  by F40CFan

I second that motion!
A-MEN!!!

#106401  by MetraF40C607

Well, I said it before and i'm gonna say it again, USE PUNCTUATION! And yes, you're right, the 645F is used in the SD50 and GP50. So, in other words, we have a minature SD50 and an oversized GP50 on our hands.

#106407  by AMTK84

F40CFan wrote:
Probably, it's a recurring theme that new power is disliked as it displaces older power.
I agree with your statement. However, new power is hated when it is unreliable. Not to metion obnoxiously noisey. If the stupid things didn't make me late, I probably wouldn't care as much.
Noisy? Try going into CUS with 2 engines - 2 F40PH's - in HEP. Next, on a weekend night, try going back there again and isten to the 2 MP36's there.

I could, of corse, save you the time, and say rite now that they are quieter. They run at a lower RPM...Lower noise level.

#106449  by metra 613

Yea,Right the mps are quieter.Do u live right next to the tracks? Well if u did u see how there are. U can tell is one from a mile away there so obnoxiously lound.

#107068  by F40CFan

Noisy? Try going into CUS with 2 engines - 2 F40PH's - in HEP. Next, on a weekend night, try going back there again and isten to the 2 MP36's there.
I have. I ride every day. The best days at CUS are when the MPs are out on the road and the F40s are in CUS.

I puposely sit in the last car of the train to get as far away from those rumbly beasts as I can. I do not like sitting there, trying to read while my guts are being pulverized by all of the vibration from the MPs.

#107156  by MetraF40C607

The MPs are considerably loud when it comes to being in run 8. Quiet in idle, but loud in run 8. You try being in CUS, standing right next to an MP36 as it goes into run 8. You learn a new meaing of the word "loud." As for 2 F40PHs being in HEP, only one can be in HEP or else both motors will blow up due to the overcharge. You will never see a Metra train with 2 engines in HEP engaged mode.

#107241  by MikeF

MetraF40C607 wrote:As for 2 F40PHs being in HEP, only one can be in HEP or else both motors will blow up due to the overcharge.
Overcharge? The reason only one HEP unit can be run in a train is that two separate units would not run in-phase with each other.