Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by tobuadantoq

Which trains are equipped with MP36PH-3S (400 series) on BNSF line ?

by MetraBNSF

401-405 are assigned to BNSF.

One thing I have seen lately is that the 400's have not been assigned to the 11-car sets. Instead, the 400's have been placed on the shorter sets.

There is no guarantee that a particular set will receive a particular unit. But sets that take many trips are bound to receive a unit that has a large fuel tank. MP36s have the largest fuel tanks of all active Metra locomotives. That info is archived elsewhere within this forum.

by doepack

MetraBNSF wrote:401-405 are assigned to BNSF.

One thing I have seen lately is that the 400's have not been assigned to the 11-car sets. Instead, the 400's have been placed on the shorter sets.

There is no guarantee that a particular set will receive a particular unit. But sets that take many trips are bound to receive a unit that has a large fuel tank. MP36s have the largest fuel tanks of all active Metra locomotives. That info is archived elsewhere within this forum.
With those large fuel tanks, it would make sense to use a couple of them on weekend sets. More trips between refuelings can't hurt the schedule...

by metraRI

doepack wrote:With those large fuel tanks, it would make sense to use a couple of them on weekend sets. More trips between refuelings can't hurt the schedule...
47th Street figured this out not too long ago, as it has become rare to see anything but an MP36 on the weekend on RI.

by bones

BNSF was told that they weren't putting enough miles on the 400's, which is probably why they're seeing different trains. Last summer I checked and noticed that the oldest (#402) only had 85,000 miles, where as #412 had about 130,000 miles.

by metra 613

Dam thats all the miles there have on them. The buses we have at pace are 2003 with 150,000 miles on them . But there just as bad as the mps are. And our 2 1993 we have have about 700,000 miles. There the best two buses we have.

by byte

I've been in locomotive cabs before, but never noticed where an odometer might be. Where are they located?

by bones

In the computer.

by F40CFan

bones wrote:In the computer.
What about the older units, before the microprocessors?

by EricL

F40CFan wrote:What about the older units, before the microprocessors?
A separate odometer unit is mounted inside the cab.

by MikeF

EricL wrote:A separate odometer unit is mounted inside the cab.
Is that unique to passenger locomotives? I've never seen one in any of the freight engines I've been on. Of course, I haven't been looking for one, either.

by MetraBNSF

bones wrote:BNSF was told that they weren't putting enough miles on the 400's, which is probably why they're seeing different trains. Last summer I checked and noticed that the oldest (#402) only had 85,000 miles, where as #412 had about 130,000 miles.
I have noticed that the MP36s are now seeing trainsets that take multiple trips.

Here's the cycle for one 7 car set that is regularly receiving an MP36 now:
1208/1209/1238/1245/1278(deadhead)/1279

6 round trips, although some of these runs only go as far as Fairview or DG.

by EricL

MikeF wrote:
EricL wrote:A separate odometer unit is mounted inside the cab.
Is that unique to passenger locomotives? I've never seen one in any of the freight engines I've been on. Of course, I haven't been looking for one, either.
Never mind. I read "odometer" but what I was really thinking of was the speedometer. Oops.

by bones

The event recorder will also show miles.