Railroad Forums 

• MP-54 #4153 At CT Trolley Museum

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1589084  by photobug56

I live in diesel country on LIRR, and up until the late 1990's, and either before the Bitanic (FL9AC's with Japanese double deckers) or when the Bitanic was out of service or at other times, one typically rode antique rusted out hulks behind GP38-2's (great locos, IMHO), sometimes with 'power packs' on the west end. The cars, some of which had generators hanging below (usually, but not always with fuel), were so rusted out that in some spots you could see through the floor to the roadbed below. As to the Bitanics, they were an experiment with double deckers, which led to the C3 fleet, and while the rebuilt FL9AC's were beautiful, Metro North starved LIRR for parts like inverters, the computer systems were not ready for prime time, and overall the fleet was very poorly maintained, IMHO. They did 'set the standard' for the next generation of LIRR diesel pulled trains to constantly break down but unlike with the current cars, there were no spares, because the single spare loco (and supposedly a car) was cannibalized, so the train was frequently out of service.
 #1589116  by RGlueck

Readers may have become "railroad aware" only from the age of the M1's forward. I still consider the M1's to be the "new plastic cars". During the 1960's and well before that, spending an afternoon on the east end of any Jamaica platform revealed a fantastic mix of arch roofed and clerestory roofed MP54's, painted in three or four schemes. MP70's and MP72's were liberally mixed in with MP54's. Sometimes bread-loaf doubledeckers with two or three paint schemes were in the mix or a solid train of eight units or more wheeled in. In 1964, the mix included FM C-liners, H16-44's, ALCO RS1's, RS3's, and new C420's in the World's Fair "swoop". Eventually the two D&H RS2's were added with blue stripes for "The Shelter Island Express". After the FM's were gone, you still had a great mix or power. Okay, back to MU cars, look at the ample number of LIRR pictorial retrospectives to learn the designations and mixes. Unfortunately, we didn't know how good we had it as train watchers.
 #1589164  by Orangebeltislander

Well since 1391 is the most historic car left on the Island after w-84 she should be preserved. Hopefully someday the chamber of commerce will allow the only other lists Noah’s Ark collection car left on the Island besides 200 left on the Island!
 #1608321  by rbrogle

Good Afternoon-

In a search for something else, I came across this post. I am currently President at CT Trolley Museum and the 4153 is deassessed. That being said, we are willing to donate it to a willing, established group. It's as is/where is, but it does roll, and I suspect it would run, although it's too big for our current facility. I can be reach at [email protected]

Thanks.
Rob Brogle
President
CT Trolley Museum
cttrolley.org
 #1608678  by workextra

Hi Bob,
What is the current condition of 4153 since volunteer group working on it was ordered to stop their efforts to secure the car?
The was significant sill rot, and I do recall ingress from the roof at some location on the north and east side of the car.
The car was completely cleaned out and and the lights did function before the project was killed.
Do you think this car could be lifted by crane w/o falling apart?

For what it’s worth. Whoever decides to save it would be looking at 50-100k or so to make it loco haul and safe enough to carry passengers. At 10-15mph

Getting it off the current property is going to be another 6 figure event all in it self. Crane(s) low boy trailer, plus a second trailer or roll back wrecker for the trucks.
Then highway permitting.

How many Long Island fans would be willing to donate the funds for this project?