Railroad Forums 

• MOW work on Saturday

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#168183  by washingtonsecondary

I was in the Newfoundland area on saturday and was suprised to see a MOW train just east of the Newfoundland crossing. Anything special going on or is it just routine work?

#168201  by cjvrr

Just routine, they have been working on a good portion of the line tamping new ballast in.

#168295  by NJ Vike

There is some work going on near Sparta Junction (Eastern Propane) and by Limecrest. It appears that they are adding a new siding but I can't get back there to confirm.

You can, however, view them adding the track by Limecrest.

#168515  by RichM

Also looks like the tamping equipment made its way to Wyckoff, it was on the siding at Franklin Avenue this morning.

#168533  by NJ Vike

Here are some pictures of the work being completed at Limecrest and Sparta Jct. although, it's a bit hard to see Sparta Jct from these photos; I didn't want to tresspass.

http://home.earthlink.net/~njvike/_images/NYS&W/

#168578  by washingtonsecondary

That almost looks like the location of the old L&HR passing siding. I had heard a few years ago that the NYSW might put it back in service.

#168653  by NJ Vike

washingtonsecondary wrote:That almost looks like the location of the old L&HR passing siding. I had heard a few years ago that the NYSW might put it back in service.
You're correct. It is the L&HR line but it can't/won't extend beyond Limecrest.

I've seen them work this line and they sometimes block traffic here for long periods of time and I presume this is the reason for the extra line.

Should be interesting to see.

If you're interested in seeing the extension of the L&HR past Limecrest, let me know. I've explored most of the trail from Sugar Loaf down to Belvedere.

Ken

#168802  by David

Hey Ken--Don't trespass in that area!--LOL---Was unable to see the last photo. Was it another picture at Limecrest? Does that siding being connected (looks unused) go into the Limecrest plant? If not, where does it end?--Thanks

#168817  by NJ Vike

David wrote:Hey Ken--Don't trespass in that area!--LOL---Was unable to see the last photo. Was it another picture at Limecrest? Does that siding being connected (looks unused) go into the Limecrest plant? If not, where does it end?--Thanks
Hello David!!! Long time no hear.

Yes, there are two shots near Limecrest and one of Sparta Jct. The siding continues to go in a straight line as if it were heading to Andover; the next town.

I thought it was just a matter of time since they have been blocking the road as of late so the siding should help.

I will post the pictures I took last weekend of Mulford which was the stop prior to Andover Jct in the L&HR forum.

Ken