Railroad Forums 

• Most tracks in Ohio

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#33495  by CP169

Hey, all you Ohio railfans. Got a question. Which railroad had the most trackage in Ohio. I'm guessing the New York Central with the Pennsylvania a close second. Could be wrong though.
 #46367  by eddiebear

I dug out my Moody's Transportation Manual, 1954.

First Main Track Mileages 12/31/53:

NYC 2,098
PRR 1,883
B & O 1,858
NKP 984

NYC was the only road that had all trackage tabulated by state and all track mileage in Ohio for that road was 5,261.

Some of the First Main was operated under trackage rights.

#55206  by CP169

Thanks for the info eddiebear. I'm suprised how close the B&O was to the Pennslyvania in mileage. NYC must have had a lot of multiple trackeage in Ohio.

#55221  by shlustig

CP169,

At one time, NYC had divisional offices in Ohio at: Toledo, Cleveland,
Galion, Springfield, Columbus, Youngstown, and Alliance. Western District HQ was at Cleveland.

Yes, there were multiple main lines.