Railroad Forums 

• Morristown & Erie 110th Anniversary Excursion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1205961  by badorder

I heard that the NS 3010 will not be back from it's rebuilt at Altoona in time for the trip,and they are looking for a replacement.I also heard that a Transit crew will bring the train from Hoboken to Roselle Park Station where a NS road crew will
take over to Bethlehem,Pa.,after the picnic, the infamous NS H-02 crew will bring the train East over the Washington Secondary to Hackettstown where a new Transit crew will meet the train and continue to Hoboken...
 #1206008  by airman00

I wonder what the replacement will be? It was said that the #3010 was being used due to clearance issues along the route. That having been said I'm sure any other geep could be used. If not then maybe they might have to use one of the sw1001's? There small and would work fine with clearance issues.
 #1206154  by kilroy

airman00 wrote:I wonder what the replacement will be? It was said that the #3010 was being used due to clearance issues along the route. That having been said I'm sure any other geep could be used. If not then maybe they might have to use one of the sw1001's? There small and would work fine with clearance issues.
Don't forget the need for cab signals. It's not just clearance you have to be concerned with.
 #1206187  by airman00

kilroy wrote:
airman00 wrote:I wonder what the replacement will be? It was said that the #3010 was being used due to clearance issues along the route. That having been said I'm sure any other geep could be used. If not then maybe they might have to use one of the sw1001's? There small and would work fine with clearance issues.
Don't forget the need for cab signals. It's not just clearance you have to be concerned with.
Well the sw1001's are equipped with cab signals. And I've also seen them on the NEC. So I believe there also Amtrak certified. So NS #2100 would be a good choice.
 #1206189  by blockline4180

Who knows, we could even see a NJT geep substitute for NS!! We don't know what they will do yet, but I'd imagine most of the NS engines now other then the 3010 may not clear the M&E line!!!
 #1206211  by wolfboy8171981

therudycometh wrote:To clear up some issues -

The trip has been cleared with both NS and NJT, and their dispatchers will be made aware of the trip. We are operating over the NEC on NJT's trackage rights.
Don't forget about the 25+ miles of Conrail Lehigh Line, that is not controlled by NS or NJT dispatchers.
 #1206242  by ns3010

Speaking solely about height, the most restrictive restriction would be not exceeding 15'5" between Morristown and the Hoboken Train Shed.

Additionally, many types of engines (including non-NJT Geeps) are prohibited from operating in the Bergen Tunnel on tracks 1 and 3 and under the Hoboken Train Shed. And even more important than that is that all foreign power (except MNR engines and MNR 16-24) is restricted from operating between Summit and Broad. Although all of this can and most likely will be worked out in time, it will take some thought and planning.
 #1206257  by therudycometh

We will be using a different NS GP40-2 that will be cab-signal equipped and meet the 15' 5" height restrictions.

The NS GP40-2 will lead westbound over the Lehigh Line, while M&E #18 will lead eastbound over the Washington Secondary and Morristown Line (which also solves the issue of operating between Summit and Broad). The train *should* be on track 17 in Hoboken and we therefore don't have the train shed to worry about.
 #1206587  by therudycometh

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:What are the chances of running another excursion like this in the fall? It would be really cool to ride the line when the leaves are turning colors.
It won't happen this fall, but we'll keep it in mind for next year.
 #1207147  by baldwr

As I was leaving NYP this evening on NJT 3117 (7:13 pm departure) I saw an NS (Conrail?) local pulling three NS Passenger Cars on the head end as I was headed over the saw-tooth bridge crossing the M&E. The train was coming in off the Newark freight bypass. I am not sure of the NS (Conrail) train symbol for this local, but I assume these are the employee cars for next weekend's special and assume they are on their way to Croxton / Hoboken or a combination of both. Its getting close.... Can't wait!
 #1207633  by TSTOM

NS GP40-2 #3031 is now in the Morristown M&E yard. I've been told the 3 NS maroon coaches are in Whippany.

3031 does have the cab roof A/C unit but the horns are over the conductors side of the roof. Since it and the 3 coaches came West up the Morristown line over the weekend, no problems with clearance thru Millburn and Summit.

Presumedly, the M&E will be assembling the PV's plus the 3 NS coaches on Friday in Whippany with C424 #18 and NS GP40-2 #3031 bringing the lengthy consist to Hoboken post rush hour that night.

I'm in Babbling Brook for the trip....anyone else ?
 #1207720  by blockline4180

I will be riding in the Deluxe Coach "Pine". I really could not afford the first class ticket, but it should still be a lot of fun!!