Railroad Forums 

• More freight traffic on the Western Route, now the tunnel is diverted?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1563803  by stevefol

I live near the NHML in West Medford. Lately I've noticed DOBO showing up a lot less often. Had put it down to less building/less traffic, but the other night I heard Northside talking to DOBO/BODO to "get going back", and hadn't noticed its passing inbound. I know historically the empties were often sent back up the WR, but never the loaded inbound because of the incline in the Wellington tunnel. Now that has been diverted, does DOBO (loaded) get sent that way now?
 #1563920  by Trinnau

Until the GLX project is done the Western Route is seeing more freight traffic. That's actually the main reason they bypassed the tunnel in the first place. Freights could navigate the tunnel once in a while, but it was asking for trouble knowing the volume coming with GLX needing night work windows.

Once GLX is done the traffic will shift back to the NHML.
 #1563945  by BostonUrbEx

GLX was the initial force behind shifting more traffic to the Western Route, but cab signals sealed the deal for DOBO/BODO taking the Western Route. Eventually the Western Route will also have cab signals, and NHN/PAR will have to figure out how to get cab signalled power on DOBO/BODO.
 #1563957  by stevefol

Thanks BostonUrEx - makes sense.
I thought the GLX had largely finished encroaching on the NHML, and there certainly is occasional Pan Am freight at night - last night BO-2 passed through with a handful of scrap gondolas from Everett, but that may have been because it was heading to Lowell, not Lawrence.