Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1541415  by hotbike

We’re looking at photos of Montreal EXO trains,
And we are puzzled by the ten horns? Or ten chime horns?
Or maybe it’s dual 5 chime horns?
Is it a reliability issue? Horns are more likely to fail in sub freezing weather?

I had just heard the news of the Mount Royal Tunnel closing, for the REM project, and the same day, (today) there were photos on Flickr from people I follow...

I don’t usually follow Montreal transit, so it caught me by surprise .
 #1541460  by NS VIA FAN

hotbike wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:36 pm We’re looking at photos of Montreal EXO trains,
And we are puzzled by the ten horns? Or ten chime horns?
Or maybe it’s dual 5 chime horns?
Is it a reliability issue? Horns are more likely to fail in sub freezing weather?
Redundancy!

Noise By-laws in suburban communities adjacent to some of the overnight lay-over yards do not allow testing of the horns before the first run in the early morning....so an extra set 'just in case'

Last edited by NS VIA FAN on Sun May 03, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1541461  by NS VIA FAN

hotbike wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:36 pm I had just heard the news of the Mount Royal Tunnel closing, for the REM project, and the same day, (today) there were photos on Flickr from people I follow...

I don’t usually follow Montreal transit, so it caught me by surprise .
Yes.....the Mount Royal Tunnel is closing to conventional rail traffic and is being converted to the new REM Light Rail system. It's a huge project and is well underway. There will now be a direct link between Central Station and Trudeau Airport in Dorval. Map of the new system in this link:

https://rem.info/en

In the photo above note the 4 minute timing from Central Station to the STM Metro (subway) Edouard-Montpetit Station. Here new platforms are being inserted into the Mount Royal Tunnel and high speed elevators will link directly to the Metro Station....20 stories above the tunnel. This crane is working on the shaft for the elevators. (station cut-away view here)

https://rem.info/en/news/excavation-edouard-montpetit