Railroad Forums 

• Monday's River LINE excursion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#24591  by JJMDiMunno

Hey everyone,
Took a trip today with David H. from Florida, on the River LINE from Rand in Camden to Trenton...this was my first ride on the River LINE since it's opening (yeah, I know, you'd think the South Jersey Train Guy would have had a ride on this by now)...it was a nice trip, and I was very impressed with the general smoothness of the ride. However, I have one issue...does anyone know what the heck is the deal with that loud banging noise that can be heard (and felt actually) whenever a car takes a curve of any kind? I thought it must have something to do with the axles turning, but am not sure what exactly...I'm sure regular River LINE patrons know what I'm talking about...

Once we got up to Trenton, we stopped for a few hours and visited the Trenton Amtrak station, where we saw more trains than I've ever personally seen in a 3 hour period before. While these were not freight trains, today's count demolishes my previous count record on the Pittsburgh Line at Lewistown, PA with NS last year. I was certainly happy with what I saw there, which consisted of five Acela trainsets (one of which blasted through Trenton at track speed...yeah, this was the highlight of my day), the Amtrak "Silver Star", two Keystone trains, and more NJT and SEPTA commuter trains than I can remember. Sorry folks, no photos of the action at Trenton today...due to the increased security all over the place, I didn't dare take out the camera on the platform up there. Anyone know Amtrak's current policy concerning photography from their platforms? If they allow it, I'm certainly going back up there soon to do some shooting...

On the way up there to Trenton, we spotted an old GE switcher and what I thought was a crane of some kind at Roebling...I believe there just might have been a photo of this in some recent Railpace...

All in all, today was good. I'd strongly recommend a ride over the River LINE for anyone that hasn't taken one yet...in fact, the scenery once you get up north of Burlington is quite nice...and at $1.10 per ticket (one-way adult), you can't beat it as a way to spend a morning or afternoon, or both. I know I'll most definitly be riding again.

Now all I've got to find out about is that banging noise...

Also, one question...does anyone know when freights use the NEC up there at Trenton? Any at all, actually? I know they'd probably be at night, I'm wondering if anyone has a relatively accurate time...

Take care.

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com: All about South Jersey Railroads!
 #24593  by OCtrainguy

Currently, Amtrak is having a photo contest for their 2005 Wall calendar. Their is a write-up on it on Railpace's website under Hot News. Basically, they don't want you on the ROW, tracks, signals and in yards. They state, (and I quote) "Instead, stay in public access areas, such as stations, sidewalks or parking lots. "

With respect to freights, I myself was asking the same question. Back in December 2000, I saw two trains heading through Trenton station. And this was late-morning/early afternoon. I am quite sure they were a Morrisville local.

I know of a public spot with a good view of the tracks and would like to see some Morrisville freights heading into Trenton in addition to the Amtrak trains.
 #24644  by kevikens

I have seen, recently, freights, going through Trenton during the day, but I cannot fathom any rhyme or reason as to when except that mid to late morning seems to be the most likely time. That includes Saturdays but raely Sundays. About two years ago the Amtrak police told me to get lost or get permission from the NJT Sation Master to take pix.