Railroad Forums 

• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1580009  by ApproachMedium

How do you figure PRR ran faster trains? The clockers were limited to 70mph because they almost always had P5As, the MU cars were lucky to make 60mph going downhill in a tailwind.
The problem today with the NJT schedules is that they are loaded with fat so when they have some kind of mechanical problem they can make the time up. Also because multilevels take forever to start and stop with locomotives geared for 125mph
 #1580294  by R&DB

All discussion of speed on the proposed MOM line is moot. There is no way you will ever see 80-90 mph anywhere on that route. Too many grade crossings not to mention the choke points of Lakewood, Farmingdale, Freehold and Jamesburg which will most likely remain 10 mph.
Although I am all for MOM, it needs to be time competitive with cars and buses on Route 9. The entire line would need to be rebuilt to FRA Class 6 or better to acheive the speeds necessisary to be time competitive.
 #1580297  by CJPat

I think it is obvious that they would upgrade the track for MOM. I think FRA requires it for passenger lines. It may not be 90 mph but with the grade crossings, I can easily see them doing 40-60mph in different sections like between Jamesburg and Freehold. Granted, the curving track east of Freehold station on the other side of Main and out to South St (between the buildings) will always be a bit slow.
 #1580312  by ApproachMedium

The 10mph sections can safely do 30mph in passenger serice with proper warning devices installed. The lower coast line works this way.
 #1580319  by R&DB

They're going to have to go a lot faster than 30mph to compete with the buses time-wise. The MOM route out to Monmmouth Jct. goes way out of the way, wasting time.
 #1580331  by Bracdude181

@R&DB Class 6 track is seriously heavy duty. FRA says class 6 is good for 110 MPH freight. WOW

Miiiiight be a bit overkill to install such heavy duty track down here, unless someone wants to do intercity rail between NYC and Atlantic City using the Southern as a cutoff instead of the NEC.

With regards to to travel time on Route 9, I’ve never taken the bus nor have I been on the road during rush hour. I will say this though.

I’ve recently started taking Route 9 home after railfanning in North Jersey instead of the parkway due to its shorter length and lack of toll booths. Going the speed limit while staying in the right lane, (and with a bit of luck regarding how many red lights I get) I can go from South Amboy to Howell in under an hour. (I usually have a friend with me so I get off at one road and take him the back way to his home in Lakehurst from there)

Assuming you’d want to go from South Amboy to Farmingdale by train, it would be possible to do it in the same amount of time, but that train would have to make very little stops and be moving pretty fast between stations.

During rush hour the train would probably be faster regardless.
 #1580339  by Bracdude181

@ApproachMedium In Freehold maybe but there’s not a chance in hell you will ever see a train go over 10 MPH in Lakewood without MAJOR measures taken to combat trespassing. The locals use the tracks as a walking trail between certain areas, and the more mischievous ones leave garbage on the ROW. Some vandalize the track too. It’s been an ongoing problem for over a decade now.

Go to any crossing in Downtown Lakewood when the train comes through. It’s utter chaos.

Some run in front of the train, others stop on the track to look at the train while it’s approaching only to keep driving, those who do stop at the crossings get honked at by people who aren’t willing to wait for the train.

Then when the train goes up to Cross Street to turn around the traffic will sometimes back up for MILES. I’m not joking! Many times I’ve caught people come very close to having road rage-induced crashes there.

Norfolk Southern Police have tried numerous times to combat the trespassing problem to no avail. Some crews from back in the day have actually quit their jobs over what goes on. If you want a train to go faster than 10 MPH through Lakewood then you need the following:

1. Fencing on both sides of the track from County Line Rd to Cross Street. Preferably something that isn’t easily climbed over.

2. Bilingual signs EVERYWHERE that clearly describe the dangers of walking on train tracks and how it is illegal. Languages should at least include English, Spanish, and Hebrew.

3. Complete overhaul/replacement of all railroad crossings from County Line Rd to Cross Street. Quad gates, LED lights, pedestrian gates, gate skirts to prevent people from going under the gates, crossing predictor circuits, “DO NOT STOP ON TRACKS” signs, etc. Certain crossings may need to be tied into traffic lights.

4. Somehow you’d need a way to keep people off the two bridges in the area.

5. 24/7 regular patrols from railroad police to ensure the line is kept clear of trespassers or dangerous conditions at all times.

6. Anti-vandalism measures applied to relay boxes, signals, etc. Locks that are very hard to pick are recommended.
 #1580341  by ApproachMedium

If it moves faster and appears more threatening, they wont be running in front of it as much. Go look at how many people cross roads in NYC in low speed city traffic VS how many people try to cross the GSP. I bet those numbers are far different. While it doesnt need to go 80mph to make this effect, the movement at 30 or 40mph is enough to get in and out fast enough so that crossings wont be tied up forever and people will less likely play chicken with the train. More frequent service would help also. That train currently goes down there maybe once a week.
 #1580342  by Bracdude181

@ApproachMedium Trust me, an increase in speed will not deter what goes on. Many of the locals think the train has to stop for them. Far too many times I’ve seen people walk on the tracks towards the train while it’s coming and they don’t bat an eye. Even when the train stops and the crew gets out and yells at them they keep walking as if they aren’t doing anything wrong. Many simply don’t know better. Forgot to mention they park their cars on the tracks as well!

Same thing has been going on around the Coast Line too. (Why do people keep fishing on the Brielle Drawbridge?!?!) Been hearing a lot more trespasser reports.
 #1580344  by ApproachMedium

When its going fast enough theres no time to get out and yell. I dont seem to have this problem doing 125 on amtrak trains. Hell even where we do 50 in baltimore it seems to do a good job of keeping the after school program at bay.

People fish on the brielle draw.... because its 10mph. Surprise???? I never see anyone fishing on Bush river or gunpowder river bridges. 125mph. Huh, funny how that works.
 #1580346  by Bracdude181

@ApproachMedium Sounds like people in Baltimore have a lot more common sense than many of the locals here. They know to stay away. Not at all like around here!
 #1580350  by ApproachMedium

oh trust me, they dont stay away. The after school program likes to put stuff on the tracks but usually after they get hit by the debris they arent back for a while.
 #1580351  by Bracdude181

@ApproachMedium Oh dear, what do they usually put on there? The usual? Around here you’ll find anything on the tracks. Maybe even big appliances!
 #1580352  by ApproachMedium

Large tree parts, complete cinderblocks, miles of ballast rocks, rebar, you name it. not stuff you want to hit at 100mph
 #1580353  by Bracdude181

@ApproachMedium Yikes! I will say that rebar and cinderblocks are something I’ve yet to see sitting on the tracks of the Southern Secondary.

Yeah, DEFINITELY would not want to hit a cinderblock at 100 MPH! Even if it doesn’t derail that’s something that can do a ton of damage!