Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#198581  by CSS&SB702

dinwitty wrote:I will model about the mid fifties, no plug door boxes or bay window cabeese!

Actually, the first bay window caboose seems to have surfaced somewhere around 1946. I have several photos of the bay windows dating from 1946 on. I often wondered, were they built on the frames of the old wooden cabeese?

#198655  by dinwitty

its funny, on the North Shore they had the cupola cabeese, but as you know, cars got larger, taller, you couldnt see over the cars.

They whacked off the cupolas in the last years.

#198659  by PRRGuy

I know a few people at the shops told me those bay windows had trucks stamped with C&NW or GB&W on them. Theres still a set of GB&W stamped trucks in the yard. Also, when that group came to get the line car and reel car, the reel cars trucks had parts from C&NW and NYC lines.

#198914  by dinwitty

NKP 765 has parts off other locomotives IE siderods.

like 763

the parts are stamped what lokie their on.

#204842  by CSS&SB702

Those brass cabooses (cabeese?) are nice, I have 6. Did you realize there are 2 different lengths? Also, some of the cabooses had 3 steps, some had 4.
:-D While I'm at it--I also have the following brass South Shore stuff: 2 boxcabs, 2 Little Joes, a steeple cab, several shorty passenger cars and trailers, a couple modernized combines and a few modernized passenger cars, and a ex-C&O caboose. Oh yeah, I also have 2 of the brass line cars, one painted, the other left bare brass. :-D

OOPS! Forgot, I also have one of the current stainless cars. :wink:
Last edited by CSS&SB702 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#204980  by PRRGuy

Very cool. BTW, any word on that one company that was supposed to make a resin kit of the nippon cars? I haven't heard/seen anything on them in awhile.

#204984  by MikeF

If Mike at Imperial Hobby Productions doesn't chime in here, you can contact him through his Web site at http://ihphobby.tripod.com/.

#205019  by PRRGuy

I decided to go out and see the Bay-window on display in hammond.
I took some pics but i'll post them after I finish the roll. It had the black and white striping on the ends, no numbers on the caboose at all. The gate was locked so I couldn't get closer then I did last time but hopefully next time It'll be open again. Also, I noticed it had 5 steps on the ends? Weird, also the had wood steps on a metal frame, kinda weird I thought. Iwonder which # this one is.

#205084  by CSS&SB702

If it's the one that was on display at Beverly Shores back in the 80's, then it's number 1064. The same as your brass model. It' looks like yours has the correct number on it for the number of steps. I don't think they count the end platform level as a step, so that would make yours a 4 step. :wink: I have a couple of pics I took at Beverly Shores, when you post your pics, I'll be able to compare to see if it's the same one.

#205169  by Tadman

was there a siding at Beverly, or was this set in the weeds on some isolated junk rail?

#205176  by dinwitty

checking the cera book, there was a beverly shores siding, but removed, in 1943.

What side of the tracks is it on, I recall a caboose on the south side, the siding was on the north side, there is a beverly lumber company, on the north side, the siding, stub end likely, was also.

#205234  by CSS&SB702

The caboose on display at Beverly Shores sat on it's own little section of track. It was located on the opposite side of the tracks from the station, and west of the street that runs along side of the station. Actually, it was west of a building that sits on the corner of US12 and the street that runs along side of the station. (Huh?) Does that make sense? I last went by there a couple years ago, there is no trace left of that section of track, but it was only as long as the caboose, and was probably put there just for the caboose display.

#205421  by PRRGuy

Interesting info. Yeah, I guess it was a 4 step caboose, kinda cool it might be the same # as my model. unfortunately my model is in ALOT better condition.

#205947  by Tadman

we can fix that with lighter fluid, a pack of matches, and some of the guys from the LIRR or NYA forums...