Railroad Forums 

• Modeling questions

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#543143  by steamfan6325

While I'm waiting for my decals I have started to work on #18. I've started with a spectrum consolidation frame and will be kitbashing or scratchbuilding everything else. For the tender I am using spectrum's small baldwin tender. This, of course, will also have to be modified to better represent #18's ( well, actually #14's) tender. I'll post pictures as soon as I get a chance to take some halfway decent ones.
 #543789  by Benjamin Maggi

For modeling #14 in HO scale, might I suggest the Bachmann ten-wheelers. They have two models, a "high boiler" and a "low boiler". I think the high boiler is the best bet, because the boiler is nearly horizontal (the low boiler has a much more dramatic step up in boiler diameter sizes as you move from pilot to cab. I have no idea what driver size the real #14 was. I was just about to build one when I switched from HO scale to N/G scale.

High boiler and 63" drivers: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ ... ductId=162

Low boiler and 52" drivers: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ ... ductId=157

In case anyone doesn't know, a good source of A&A decals is MODERN RAILS (google it), owned by Ricky Rupp. A great guy, very helpful, and knows his stuff as well.
 #543805  by steamfan6325

I have started a thread in the scale model railroading board in this forum called "Arcade and Attica #18 in HO" regarding my attempt at modeling #18.
As for # 14, that may come after #18 and #112 are done. Don't want too many irons in the fire.
 #544591  by steamfan6325

Better pics of #112, a passenger car (I have 2 of them) and the gon.
(the gon is "grimy black", not blue. must have something to do with the lighting)
 #547637  by steamfan6325

Update: decals have been ordered. As soon as they come in and I get them on I will post pictures.
 #550542  by jgallaway81

They ARE very sharp, excellent work. You should be very proud of your efforts.
 #550571  by steamfan6325

My models wouldn't look good at all if it wasn't for the decals from Modern Rails. Many thanks to Ben for sending me to Modern Rails.
 #550694  by awwos

Hi,

I am going to do a model of the A&A 18. I remember a long time ago they used to have the coal and water specs painted on the back of the tender. Does anyone happen to have a picture of these details? They apparently decided not to put them on after the last re-paint.

Thanks!

Andrew
 #550898  by steamfan6325

awwos wrote:Hi,

I am going to do a model of the A&A 18. I remember a long time ago they used to have the coal and water specs painted on the back of the tender. Does anyone happen to have a picture of these details? They apparently decided not to put them on after the last re-paint.

Thanks!

Andrew
This info would be helpful to me also. I've got a t-shirt with a picture of 18 all black with white "tires" and orange lettering and I kind of like that scheme. My version of 18 is a long way from the paint stage, but when I get to that point I'm considering painting her in that scheme. It's between that and the current paint scheme.

Jon
 #550951  by steamfan6325

#112 Out in the Sunshine! (taken on a simple diorama outside with real trees and sky as the background)
 #550971  by jgallaway81

Looks gorgeous! Keep up the good work.

As for the tender info, I'm looking for picks of the tender now... stand by.
 #550993  by jgallaway81

Answer is: 5tons coal, 6,000gal water. I don't have any good pics, however, I manage to snag a couple screenshots from Jerry's DVD's...

Sorry, they are the best I can do. Hope they are clear enough that you can feel certain that those numbers are right.