Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#721490  by RearOfSignal

M1 9147 wrote:LIRR's C1's have been tested in the Park Avenue Tunnels, and with that, Multilevel coaches can operate on the inner tracks ONLY! Height is 14' 6" on both LIRR's C1/C3, and NJT Comet VI ML! I wouldn't be surprised if when the need for replacement of the Shoreliners do occur, then such equipment as the ML would come in! One good thing here is you can use 6 cars to take the place of lets say 8 single level coaches. We shall see!
Well, MNR doesn't use 8 coach consists anyway.
 #721551  by DutchRailnut

Metro-North won't buy cars that will be restricted to only 2 out of 4 tracks in New York.
currently there is a surplus of push pull cars so no need to look at replacement cars.
 #721617  by Erie-Lackawanna

Multilevel cars are in our sights, but you won't see them for at least another 5-10 years, and the specific configuration - and service for which they will be used - haven't been determined as yet. There are ways to make them work on all 4 tracks in the Park Ave Tunnel. Curiously enough, the official drawings and clearance diagram indicate that the NJT multilevels fit on tracks 3 & 4, but we all know there are issues (which can be addressed and eliminated) around 86th Street.

Jim
 #721633  by playdough

It was before I lived in NY, but wasn't there a big project to reinforce the Park Ave. tunnel several years ago? I thought I remembered reading that the tracks were lowered as part of this process. Was there no way to lower the tracks enough to make double-deckers fit on all 4 tracks without further construction?
 #721639  by Erie-Lackawanna

This issue is not strictly height, but height and width clearances at the curves before and after 86th Street. There are a number of add-on facilities (communications cables, etc.) that would have to be relocated out of the clearance envelope.

Jim
 #721858  by fordhamroad

Jim -- gradually removing Park Ave tunnel obstacles and improving clearance for future developments sounds like a good obamaproject. Perhaps Metro North should nibble away at the problem in its five year capital development plans...

Roger
 #722345  by sullivan1985

DutchRailnut wrote:Metro-North won't buy cars that will be restricted to only 2 out of 4 tracks in New York.
currently there is a surplus of push pull cars so no need to look at replacement cars.
The Multi-Levels where restricted on just about every track in Hoboken Terminal. After modifications done to the station platforms, they are now allowed everywhere but 1 and 14 Depot.

Sure, maybe the issues presented on the way into GCT are different, but I'm sure it's nothing that can not be changed to accommodate them.
 #722465  by DutchRailnut

Currently MNCR has a surplus of coaches with not enough engines, no engines are in forcast , so neither are new coaches.
The end door Bombardiers are only now going through a mid life overhaul, so are good for another 15 to 20 year.
 #722824  by Aselver

I'd sooner want to see articulated EMUs before double deckers; they could move easier around those tight turns in Connecticut.
 #722940  by Nasadowsk

Aselver wrote:I'd sooner want to see articulated EMUs before double deckers; they could move easier around those tight turns in Connecticut.
Articulation wouldn't do squat. And at the weight of the M-8s, wouldn't be possible anyway.

If the new Haven line wasn't so tight, and MN wasn't so tilt adverse, and the FRA wasn't stuck in the 1800's, a lightweight tilt EMU would make more sense. But even then, the time savings would be questionable. The easier way is to up the acceleration, which hopefully the M-8s will do...
 #722952  by DutchRailnut

The west of Hudson operation, despite having MNCR name and funding, has about null/ziltz/nada/nichts. to do with rest of MNCR, its basicly a NJT operation.

Currently MNCR has 167 bombardier push pull cars and CDOT has 50 bombardiers, this fleet of 217 cars has to be pulled by 31 genesis and 12 branch line locomotives.
only 12 cars are needed for branchline mini Bomb's (incl. upper Harlem) this leaves 205 cars to be pulled by 31 genesis for average train lenght of 6.6 cars per train.
not even near max is needed for current trains as about 25 to 30% of equipment is spare or in maintenace status.
 #724254  by MNR's #1 Conductor

Just gotta keep your eyes open!! The railroad is always full of surprises, and I heard they have shown up on peak runs up to Port Jervis.
 #738280  by myamyc72

Hello:

While driving north on I-95 just going onto the bridge at exit 17, I spotted a train heading toward Stamford, with double Decker cars, one engine pulling it. I could not make out any makings on the cars or the engine, although the engine side facing I-95 had an interesting color scheme. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this. It occurred about 10:44 AM on the local track. About three minutes later an Amtrak followed on the express track heading toward Stamford.

Amy :wink:
 #738281  by DutchRailnut

Giant stadium service, NJT train used by MNCR for combined service form New Haven via nyp to meadowlands.
they use ALP46 and multilevels