Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Dieter

I just received this from a reliable source, and it's the first I've heard of it. IS THIS TRUE?

" Part of MNRR capital plan (a subset of MTA budget) includes electrification to Peekskill, and long-term, Poughkeepsie. For some snowy day reading (or print the whole damn thing and look important on the train):
see pgs 40-139 under Agency Financial Plans/Metro-North
BTW: I also hear that one plan funds the re-opening (to MNRR) of the East Shore Line (well the West Side of Manhattan) currently used by Amtrak into Penn Station."

by Nester

Do you have a source for this document?

Neither the current budget nor the capital plans (both are available online) have any funding for either project. There has been talk of opening up Penn to MN service via the West Side corridor, but since there is no track space to spare, it can't be done until after LIRR ESA.

http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/psas/

Electrifying to Peekskill would be nice (more room on Upper Hudson diesels for everyone else), but there are no storage tracks and no crew facilities. Wouldn't all the trains require deadhead moves from Croton?

Nester
  by FEC_Fan

Dieter wrote:I just received this from a reliable source, and it's the first I've heard of it. IS THIS TRUE?

" Part of MNRR capital plan (a subset of MTA budget) includes electrification to Peekskill, and long-term, Poughkeepsie. For some snowy day reading (or print the whole damn thing and look important on the train):
see pgs 40-139 under Agency Financial Plans/Metro-North
BTW: I also hear that one plan funds the re-opening (to MNRR) of the East Shore Line (well the West Side of Manhattan) currently used by Amtrak into Penn Station."
Those documents are available online to anyone with a web browser. Look for yourself and find out if it's true. But MN management could never come up with anything as creative as this stuff, so why bother, right?

by Otto Vondrak

These sound like studies rather than concrete plans.

-otto-

by metroduff

Go to the MTA website and look at the Capital Program page.

This is the MTA Capital Program, with discussion of currently proposed amendments.

Page 59 breaks out the Metro-North Power projects. You won't find third rail to Peekskill here, and if it's not here, it's not happening in this program, period.

[Page numbers from "a reliable source" are not reliable unless we know the volume that the reliable source is quoting -- what's the volume? -- do I smell troll?]

By the way, for the MDBF question, although the M-3's, M-4's, and M-6's have a better MDBF than the locomotives on a per-unit basis, don't forget that the M-3's are paired and the M-4's and M-6's are triplets, so you have to divide those numbers by two for the 3's and 3 for the 4's and 6's to get a real idea of how reliable they are, for if an M-unit craps out, you lose the pair or triplet. With that taken into account, the 3's do only slightly better than the Gennies and the 4's and 6's are worse

by Clean Cab

There is a world of difference from something being "Proposed" and the dedication of funds to actually implement it.

MN has propsed many things over the years that never came to fruition. Such as the plans to use the Port Morris Branch as a second route for NH line trains. And there was even talk of sprucing up the Beacon (Maybrook) line a couple of years after MN bought it from Housatonic RR.

Propsals don't cost anything.

by Otto Vondrak

Dieter is no troll- however as explained above- it's a great leap from proposal to line-item in the capital budget.

Dieter- thank you for bringing this information to light.

-otto-

by Dieter

No problem, Otto~!

This came from Charlie, and I'm going to track down the text for everyone. I choked on my water when I read that one. Doesn't it make you wonder what else is in a document like that?

Speaking of Trolls, my favorite one is Hillary not sleeping until the Putnam Division is restored. I don't care if she didn't say it, WE'RE ALL HOLDING HER TO IT!!!!!

Dieter./