Railroad Forums 

• Mistral

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1425952  by Gilbert B Norman

As I noted at another topic, I rode "Le Mistral" Paris/Nord-Nice during May 1971 (after A-Day).

I don't know which was more "luxo"; Mistral or Midland Pullman.
 #1426166  by Gilbert B Norman

A-Day was May 1, 1971; the first day of Amtrak.

Here is discussion amongst some of us who have been around these parts for a while;

viewtopic.php?f=155&t=1203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1426173  by johnthefireman

Thanks, Gilbert. Nostalgic stuff. I would still have been in the sixth form of grammar school (the highest class in high school) on that day, but despite my interest in British railways, I was unaware at that time of what was clearly a momentous day for US railroaders.
Last edited by johnthefireman on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1426174  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:Thanks, Gilbert. Nostalgic stuff. I would still have been in the sixth form of grammar school (the highest class in high school) on that day, but despite my interest in British railways, I was unaware of what was clearly a momentous day for US railroaders.
Practically, it was the closure of a large number of American rail services, reducing the passenger system to a bare minimum.
 #1426299  by ExCon90

I remember when sometime in the late 50's-early 60's a member of the Interstate Commerce Commission (the regulatory commission overseeing railroads) named Howard Hosmer (I think) commented that at the current rate of discontinuances there would be virtually no long-distance passenger trains left in the U. S. within (I think) 10 years or so. Everybody said no way--never happen--what is he thinking--etc., etc., etc. As it turned out I don't think he was off by more than 5 years or so.