Railroad Forums 

• Milk Stops

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#875348  by erie2521

Rochester Division employee time tables at least before World War I into the 1920's list various places that Corning branch trains picked and set out milk cars/milk cans. Two of these are McQueens and Millers Crossing. (I believe both of them were milk can stops.) I have questions about both of them.
McQueens: This was listed in the time table but was not a passenger stop. I assume that it was located at Papermill Road where the LA&L now has a siding. Is this correct? If so, were there ever any sidings there? A map of the period shows a paper mill nearby.
Millers Crossing: This is not listed in the timetable but is somewhere between McQueens and Conesus Lake Junction. I have McQueens in the right place, that only leaves two possibilities for Millers Crossing (1) Pole Bridge Road, which is an overpass or (2) Present day Rt. 15 which in those days was a grade level crossing. Logic would point to Rt. 15 but it would be nice to know. Any ideas? Thanks. Ted
 #904858  by VTM

Valuation map dated 1918 shows main track at MC Queens (Paper Mill Road) which is geographically oriented north to south.

To the north of the highway and geographical west of the main track there was a double ended siding referred to as "Track 80" which was 1354' in length. Diverging off of that track was a shorter stub end track referred to as "Track 81" which was 362' in length.

Map shows a 8' x 30' platform structure located on the geographical east side of track, immediately north of the road. This appears to be the milk platform alluded to.

Valuation maps verify "Millers Crossing" as being the location of present day Route 15. The map verifies the location of the milk platform as being in the NW quadrant of the crossing. It appears to have been slightly shorter than the one at MC Queens. Another milk platform of similar size was also located about 30' timetable west of the switch at Conesus Lake Junction. This was the only milk related artifact left at the time i came on the property. While the deck had long since been removed the concrete pilings were still in place. There were three rows of three small pilings or piers each. During right of way improvements of the 1980's these were ultimately removed.

Valuation maps appear to indicate a similar sized structure near the South Lima station further east. Of the bunch, however the MC Queens platform seems to have been the largest on this particular territory.

VTM
 #904988  by erie2521

Thanks for the information. It will be very helpful. Nice to know I guessed right on Miller's Crossing. Ted